Chapter 18

Jordyn POV

Paige stopped talking after her mom told her about her dad. She first went back to sleep. We all thought maybe she needed to rest, which she did. However, when she woke up, she was still not talking.

This causes us all to worry. The doctor who was checking in on her said this was nothing to worry about. He suggested keeping a close eye on her for twenty-four hours. They think she is reacting to what she witnessed and losing her dad. He said it's a normal reaction.

"You girls should go home." Paige's mom tells us as Paige is getting moved to a room since she is officially staying at least one more night.

I don't want to leave. I know Alexis doesn't want to either. We both realize there is nothing we can do here right now though.

Alexis gives Paige a hug and I do the same even though she is sleeping.

As we get ready to leave, Paige's mom has a question that is directed at me.

"When did Paige and you become close?"

I look at Alexis. I have no idea what her mom knows. I'm not going to tell her I'm Paige's girlfriend without talking to Paige about it.

"We all hangout now." Alexis cuts in. "We got past the kid drama."

While we walk out, my stomach drops. I feel like leaving is the wrong decision. I want to stay. I want to be here for her. I want to be able to take the pain away even though I know I can't.

I'm worried how this will affect her. I couldn't imagine being in her shoes. I can't imagine losing a parent. I can't believe he did that. I can't believe he did it in front of her.

Paige POV

The doctors keep trying to get me to talk, but I don't say a word. There are no words for me to say. Nothing I say will make anything better.

Nothing they say to me is making me feel better. Why would I talk?

I'm left with emptiness and questions. Did my dad really think I didn't love him? Why did he have to do that in front of me? Was there something I could have done to save him?

I try closing my eyes to go back to sleep when I hear a doctor talking to my mom. By the sounds of it, I'm getting released to go home.

What is home? I can't go back to my dad's house. I don't want to go to my mom's. Where am I going? Do I have a choice?

"Great news." My mom walks in. "You get to leave."

She goes over to a bag she brought with some of my clothes. I get out of bed and grab them from her. I go into the bathroom in my room and change.

We waited around for a bit for a nurse to come wheel me out. I find it stupid that I can't walk myself out.

As we went through the hospital, my mom wouldn't stop talking. I kept my mouth shut still. I can tell it's frustrating her, but I don't care. I feel like she is the reason for all of this. She broke my dad's heart by cheating on him. He might have pulled the trigger, but she had a hand on his.

We get outside where the valet  has her car waiting.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask as I get in her car.

Her face looks surprised to hear my voice. "I'm taking you to my house."

I shake my head and reach for the door. "I'm not going to your house."

She grabs my arm trying to stop me. "Paige, I'm your mother, and we are going to do as I say. I'm taking you to my house."

"I'm not going to your house!"