Chapter 30

Paige POV

"Alexis Chancellor." Our principal announces. "Alexis will be attending Washington State University. She finished her high school career fifth in her class."

I clap as loud as I could while Alexis walks across the stage. I look in the crowd and see Alexis's family standing up cheering for her.

I take a deep breath as my turn is coming.

"Paige Gregory." I walk across the stage and shake the hand of our vice principal. I then stop to face the crowd like we were instructed to. I see my mom with her new family. She is lightly clapping. I was expecting her to be more excited or proud, but at least she came.

"Paige will be attending Washington State University. Paige also is the recipient of the Courage Award. Paige went through a tragedy at the beginning of this semester. Her fellow classmates voted her to be this year's winner. I can say that no one deserves it more."

I look back at my graduating class and they were all standing up clapping. I was trying to hold in the emotions. The overwhelming feeling of wanting my dad here was kicking in.

I went and took my seat. I take small breaths to contain my composure. I don't want to break down right now. Breathe Paige, breathe.

The ceremony continues.

"Derek." Before the principal could even say his last name, the gym exploded. "Derek Martin will be attending Washington State University on a full ride football scholarship." Derek is soaking in all the love.

"Jacob Moore." I see Alexis stand up to clap for him. "Jacob will be entering the Army and will be heading to basic training in June." You could hear a big gasp going through the graduate class. No one had a clue besides a couple of us.

Jake has never been one to talk about himself or anything in his life. Everyone claps proudly for him.

When the ceremony was over, we had to go outside and greet everyone. I guess technically they won't know if you did or not, but it's an effective way to see people. Some of these people you might not see again.

My mom comes up to me as we are outside. She gives me a hug. I notice she is getting ready to leave.

"Are you not staying?" I ask, trying to hide my disappointment.

She looks at the time on her watch. "It's getting late. Ben needs to get to sleep." Of course, worry about your new family.

"Whatever." I say as I walk away.

My mom stops me. "Here." She says handing me a card before she leaves.

I talk to a couple of my friends' parents who walk past me.

Everyone was friendlier compared to my mom. This is where it sucks being alone. My mood changes quickly when I see my aunt.

My Aunt Janet is my dad's sister. I haven't seen her in a while. She didn't come to my dad's visitation. I think it was hard for her to understand why he did what he did.

I run up to her when I see her and give her a big hug.

"My little Paige can't be a high school graduate already!"

I roll my eyes at her. I see my cousin Jason and Jesse. They are twins and a year older than me. I give both a hug as well.

Jordyn walks over to me, so I introduce her. "This is Jordyn."

Jesse has a grin on his face the whole time staring at Jordyn. Jason ends up hitting him in the gut. "Back off bro, you know they are dating."

I look at him stunned. How does he know?