1

An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet, regardless of time, place, or circumstance. The thread my stretch or tangle, but will never break.

I started at the red thread wrapped around my finger. I had been able to always see the red threads everyone had. Young or old everyone had them. They filled the sky's above our heads connecting us all in a web of thread.

The threads of fate.

No one saw them or knew they were there. I found out long ago that no one really believe in fate. Not like this that is. It was just an old wives tale.

So around the young age of my preteen years I figured out not to talk about it with others, that's how you got picked on. Bullied. Lost friends. Treated like a crazy person. All of it.

I sighed and moved the finger the string was wrapped around. I could tug on it all I wanted but never would the other end feel it. It was like knowing someone was there but not being able to see them... I knew that feeling all too well.

I held my hand up above me as I laid on my back on my bed. Boxes sat around my room waiting to be unpacked. I knew that the rest of the new house would look the same. Packed and cluttered. I dropped my hand onto my stomach laying in silence as I stared at my rooms ceiling.

The peaceful silence was interrupted by a knocking on my door before my mother opened the door. She poked her head into my room with a big smile on her face. "Honey, would you mind helping me unpack the living room and kitchen tonight?" A warm smile lit up the middle aged woman's face. Small laughing lines were by the corners of her eyes but other than that she had a nearly flawless face for a forty year old woman. She had her semi long hair pulled back into a messy bun on the back of her head. Warm gray green eyes smiled kindly as she disappeared from my doorway. She was beautiful. She looked younger than she is, beautiful kind eyes, silky rich chocolate brown hair that fell just past her shoulders. She had a loving motherly aura that drew so many people in. I loved her more than anything, I would give my life to protect her.

I got up off my bed with a sigh as I straightening my black hoodie that was white on the inside. It was interchangeable but I kept the black side out usually. I readjusted my denim shorts that stopped at mid thigh. Fluffing my long orange hair with my hand as I walked down the stairs to the living room.

You see, my mother and I just moved. I had the upstairs where's she had the downstairs, excluding the living room and kitchen which we shared. Downstairs there was a good sized kitchen and dinning area, a big living room, a bed room, bathroom and an office. The office was where my mom worked since she was an author, however she also had a bad back so she really couldn't be going up and down the stairs on a daily basis, hence why her room is on the first floor. So I live up stairs where there was my room, a spare room, and another bathroom.

I helped my mom start unpacking the kitchen, keeping the stubborn woman from doing things she shouldn't. For example, lifting anything over twenty pounds or reach up to higher places. Being a whopping five foot nothing, that meant most of the cabinets above the kitchen counter. I know she just wants to help and get the packing done with but she doesn't need to do it.

I watched my mom carefully as we unpacked, making sure she wasn't showing signs of pain since I knew she wouldn't tell me she was hurting unless it was really bad. I frowned as I placed cups in a cabinet to finish off the kitchen.  All food and cooking wear were where I needed it.

"Hey mom..." I called out to the woman who was sitting down for a moment at the dinning room.

"Yes sweetie?" She asked looking over at me with her warm smile.