Chapter Five

The boiling pot of water brought me back to the present. I was off daydreaming again.

Adding the spaghetti noodles and humming to a recent theme song I heard. Vanessa and I had binge watched some anime when we got back from the store. She said after dinner she would help me with my powers.

I honestly had no idea how this training thing would work out. I drained the noodles and put them on plates.

"Vanessa dinners ready!" I called.

"One second! Let me finish this episode!" I chuckled. We really did love our anime. Currently we were watching Sgr. Frog. (Childish I know, but it was actually a pretty funny show.)

Vanessa rushed in and we ate talking about new anime shows to watch.

"Okay, let's see what you got, Kuro." We put our dishes away and headed out to the balcony.

"Want to try a bird again. Maybe since you first turned into a bird, that would be easiest to start with." She explained.

"Good thinking." I concentrated on my goal. Changing into a bird. I didn't know if I had to specify what bird or what. I just concentrated on changing.

I could feel that I was turning. Vanessa gleamed, I looked down and saw bird feet. Moving what used to be my arms, but now were wings I slowly was flying upwards.

Vanessa called out something to me, but I couldn't understand it. I saw her waving her arms at me. I flew higher and I had the most beautiful view of New York City.

For the first time in years I felt something I hadn't. Just looking around at the world I knew something had changed. As I flew  around my new home I finally knew what it was. I felt free.

As I neared the apartment I saw Vanessa. Outside. Talking to someone in a black hoodie. I continued to watch her and when they were done talking the mystery person got into a black van. He drove away and I watched Vanessa look around as if to see if she was being watched.

Seeing no apparent human, she quickly headed back to her apartment. I changed back into a human and sat on one of the chairs on our deck. Vanessa shut the door and looked surprised to see me.

"Hey, where have you been?" I asked curiously, but not enough to scare her.

"Oh I, uh, just took a walk around the block." She stammered.

"I see. So that guy I saw you talking to?" Confronting her head on.

"It's okay, Kuro, it was nothing honestly."

My trust on Vanessa still stayed. If she said it was fine, it was fine. I trusted her that she was telling the truth. She was my only and best friend. She wouldn't lie to me.

I nodded and headed off to my room for sleep, pushing what I just saw to the back of my mind.
---------------------------------
Okay this chapter was short. I have the rest of the book planned out.
What do you guys think? Anything you expect to happen? What do you think Vanessa is up to? Do you believe her?