Blackout Aftermath

Amara's POV:
I'm on the floor staring up at the wood paneled ceiling they have in the conference room and everyone is crowded around me but I don't see Taylor.

Where's Taylor!!

At this point she's the only one I can somewhat trust.

I... I... IQ.. Dad?... Fostering?!?! Slowly but surely I slip back into the darkness.

When I wake up again I see no one but Taylor. She has my head on her lap and as I look up I can see that her eyes are glassy. I open my mouth to say something but she pulls me up and before I remember I have to resist her holding me shes already picked me up and I immediately feel safe and secure. How she always manages to make me feel safe? I don't even know.

She cradles me in her arms as I lean my head against her shoulder and we sit like this for a few moments.Leaning down to my ear she whispers an "I love you" and then starts whispering frantically:

"The glass is transparent and they are watching us".

She hesitated before saying her next price and when I look up at her, she starts talking again:

"Amara..I want to foster you, and after what happened today I want to give you a place of somewhat normalcy, away from all the expectations.Would that be ok with you?"

I look at her blue eyes and don't see a drop of insincerity in them. I nod and find my voice:

"I chose fostering"

She gets teary eyed again and hugs me super tight, amidst my squeals and protests. She looks so excited that I have to slightly smile too. Turning slightly she pushes a button on the corner of the wall and the five people file into the room again. Both our cheery faces instantly drop and we both turn our attention to the people.

I glance at their faces and can see from their their expressions that they've been watching us. Taylor was right.. I stand up and say in a clear and somewhat cold voice:

"I chose to be fostered by Taylor Swift"

Maxine looks at us and asks me if I'm sure. She starts to say something about the CIA school but when I give her a look she nods starts to speak again:

"If that is your decision you both are free to go. Taylor has completed the necessary paperwork and you can consider yourself as good as fostered. This fostering period will last for 12 months and during that period the CIA will be monitoring Amara's progress."

She didn't look one bit happy with saying that, and with that final statement she and the five people file out of the room. Finally shifting my attention away from the door, I look over at Taylor and she sticks her hand out to me.

"Let's go home"

Taylor's POV:
I sit in the back of the car with my now foster child. Today has been mentally and physically exhausting for both of us and I want nothing more than to go home.

As we pull up outside the NYC apartment I grab her hand and laughing, we both sprint inside as fast as we can. After a brief elevator ride up I turn the key in the lock and let both of us in.

As soon as I close the door I hear "SURPRISE" and the lights are turned on to reveal Adam, Selena, Karlie, Ella, Ed, and Lily springing up from behind the island. Amara goes full deer in headlights mode and I'm stunned too. Adam walks up to us holding a cake with a single candle:
"Happy fostering day Amara! "
She's shocked but quickly regains her composure like the mature six year old she is. She mutters a thank you and Adam scoops her up into a hug. I make my way around the table and hug everyone. I'm so surprised and this is so sweet!! Taking Amara around the table with me she introduces herself to everyone and I can't help but notice that she's trembling underneath her happy cute carefree face that she's putting on. We cut the cake and talk before I notice Amara looks like she's slowly falling asleep. I laugh and suggest that she sleep but when I do she shuts me up with a death stare.. Oh my sassy sassy six year old. After 4 hours of pure fun everyone heads home leaving Adam, Amara and I alone in the apartment. Before she can object I scoop her up and amidst her squealing and protesting I manage to carry her up the stairs and into the guest bed.
"Amara I'm making you take a nap!! And you need one considering you slept five hours last night"
I tickle her and while giggling she sticks her tongue out at me. Laughing I tuck her in and head downstairs.

I make myself a cup of coffee and sit down on the coach.. I need to think about what happened today. I can't say I didn't know she was different, but I never expected her to turn out to be a super smart genius. Honestly she has it all, she's drop dead gorgeous with her bright green eyes and olive skin and there's also the fact that she's super smart and intelligent, both socially and normally. I wasn't sure what I was doing fostering a child but I'm more than happy I did it. Her life is pretty crazy already.. I really mean what I said to her in the conference room. I want this apartment to be a place for her to feel safe and free from all the expectations that come with being as perfect as she is. Having people always expecting you to be perfect all the time is hard.. From my many years of experience I know that.

A/N
Oohhh heavy heavy chapter.. Amara and Taylor aren't that different after all are they?
Love love love you guys
~R