Syria trips and sinking ships

Thank you to the eight of you that are reading this❤️ this starts the major plot!! Love love love you guys- R

Taylor's POV:
As promised, Maxine was waiting for us in the lobby lips pursed and squinty eyed. She waited for us to catch up and we followed her into a conference room where 8 other people were already seated. I recognize no one, and looking to my side, neither does Amara. We take our seats at the perspective ends of the table as Maxine explains what we are  here for. With her smug expression and perfectly creased pantsuit this lady is realllly starting to get on my nerves.

Maxine: "Thank you everyone for being here on such a short notice.. This emergency meeting has been called to address covert operations in Syria".

She babbles on about their findings and then swiftly moves to Amara's side of the table and stays there to say her next piece:

"As everyone has been sworn to confidentiality, may I remind everyone what happens in this room stays in this room. If word gets out there are very dire serious consequences. Project Sparrow has recently been cleared by the director, and may now be put into action. This is where the subject comes in".

She half gestures to Amara who is glaring at her and then starts up again:

"The subject is a child with vast amounts of experience in this area. The subject has had residence in Syria for five years and is well aquatinted with the area in question.During this operation, the subject will fly out for a two day scourging of the area. The troops on the ground as well as Central Intelligence officials will be there to ensure the subject's safety"

She walks over until she's right next to me:

"Taylor will not be present due to the extreme security concern and the trip will take place in a month.. Any questions?"

The words are out of my mouth before I can stop them:
"Over my dead body am I allowing her to fly into a country that's in the middle of turmoil!! Are you people crazy?! Our answer is no. Amara lets go".

I look over at Amara and she's staring off into space. Looking directly at the wall, she pipes up in her little voice and addresses the room:

Amara:" I would love to go back and visit. I understand the conditions will be very different, but I would like to help the people of Syria any way I can".

Maxine smirks at me and I try to process what just happened.. She just flat out disagreed with me!!

Maxine: "As the subject, who is under government protection has spoken, the project is officially in effect"

Maxine smiles her thin lipped smile and I fight the urge to throw something at her. This is going too far!!

"YOU WANT A SIX YEAR OLD TO ROAM FREE IN A WAR TORN TERRORIST INHABITED COUNTRY!? ARE YOU PEOPLE COMPLETELY CRAZY?! AS HER FOSTER MOTHER THIS IS NOT HAPPENING!!!"

I am so so mad, and I nearly freak out when Maxine informs me that the government technically is in charge of Amara's care; not me. How dare they! I look at Amara and try to reason with her but her mind is made up. They quickly pass her a paper and she looks up at me in hesitation for a second before her eyes harden and she signs her name in pen. Maxine does the same and then informs me that we are free to go.What was she thinking? The poor kid gets nightmares just thinking about that place!! They want her to go again? In harsher conditions? We are going to be having a loooong talk tonight.  Filing past the lobby and the door at high speeds, I don't stop my pace until we are in the car and pulling out of the parking lot. Sitting in the back as the driver drives, Amara is avoiding all eye contact with me. I reach out to fasten her seatbelt and she allows it, but still keeps her eyes down at the ground.

The more I look at her the less angry I get. For now I won't say anything, but at home there's going to be a different story. Softly and gently I wrap my arms around her and pull her next to me so that her head is against my chest. She shoots me a surprised look, confused as anything that I'm not mad, and after a few minutes she lets down her guard and settles down in my arms. Rocking her slowly, I softly sing the first thing that comes to my mind, Breathe, and slowly and surely she falls asleep.

We pull up-to the apartment half past eleven and I want to cry when I see the amount of paps assembled outside the doors. I'm in no mood to deal with this. I fish black sunglasses out of my purse and put them on carefully because there's a sleeping little girl on my lap. Gosh Dangit.. I'm going to have to wake her up.
"Babe? We're here..."
As per usual it takes less than a sentence and she wakes instantly. She squints out the window and seeing the paps her little eyes widen ever so slightly. The bodyguards get out first and then we follow making sure to keep very close to them. Before I know it, we're in the building on the elevator heading up. I see her shaking underneath her nonchalant expression and when I move to hug her she inches away. We stand in silence the rest of the way up.