The Last Time

Amara's POV
I put the cap back on my pen and set it down in front of me.

Brushing a strand of hair behind my ear, I reread what I've written:

Dear Taylor,
Thank you for being my best friend and for taking me in when I had no one. I love you more than anything and I hope that this note will explain what I didn't say.

I visited my dad at the prison on Monday. Maxine took me. Taylor he looked so ill you wouldn't understand. Maxine gave me an offer and I took it. I essentially traded myself for him. It was never because of you; don't ever think that. My dad will go free because of me. I had to do this. I wanted to stay with you more than anything.

Please don't beat yourself up for this and I will forever love you. Tell the cats and Scott and Andrea and Austin and Lily and Dixie and Karlie bye for me. I will miss them very much.

Maybe someday we'll meet again.. Timing is a funny thing.. Please remember Amy Patel.

I love you..
Amara

I fold the note and slip it under Taylor's pillow.

It's Friday today. The dreaded Friday.

I've had so many chances to tell her this week. She's been so worried about me.

The day she came home we went to her apartment and there was a perfect chance to tell her but.. I couldn't. We watched movies until I fell asleep and she seemed to think that I was just tired.

She thinks I'm sick and I wish more than anything that I could tell her,but then I think about my dad and how miserable he is. I'm doing this for him and I have to do this.

Today is Friday. And Taylor knows nothing.

Maxine is coming at 10 and it's 9 now.

I haven't really slept this week.. or ate for that matter.  My mind has been so utterly consumed with worry about today that I haven't been able to.

I pace around the room a bit and really look at everything for the first time this week. Running my hand along the mantle, I smile when I see the candles and cat picture. I'm always going to remember this about her.

I pause just staring at the room before I hear the door creak open:

"Hi you.. Good morning".

A cheery slightly sleepy Taylor stands at the foot of the doorway and smiles before catching sight of my expression and frowning.

"I booked a doctors appointment for later today.. I thought you should know. You keep saying you're fine but I know you.. You aren't fine at all".

I give my usual reply of I'm fine and stand there as Taylor looks at me with extreme worry. This has become almost routine this week. I've been acting like a total jerk because I don't want her to miss me too much; but Taylor being Taylor always believes the best in people and simply thinks that I'm sick.

I follow her down for breakfast and half smile for the first time in a week when I see what she's done.

She's made blueberry pancakes.