The Butchers Daughter

Taylor's POV:
Adam is at the airport picking my parents up, and they all will meet us at the restaurant. That leaves just Amara and I.
Looking out the window of the apartment cautiously I notice my black Range Rover pull up, and with dismay I realize that paparazzi are already starting to appear in front of the building entrance. The door man buzzes the apartment over voice intercom and tells me that they're ready for us. It's now or never. I call up the stairs and tell Amara it's time to go. 5 seconds later, this cutie bounds down the stairs wearing a huge smile and my cat ear headband? AWWW. She sees me staring and mumbles something about finding it next to the sink, but I don't let her finish.

"Amara I love love love the cat ears.. it coordinates perfectly!!"

She smiles wide again and laughs as I hold out my hand. She grabs on, and body guards in suite, we head to the elevator.

In the elevator I remind her that paparazzi are waiting downstairs, and to my surprise I get no reaction. I squeeze her hand and she squeezes back before she gives me a mischievous grin and bursts into.. Song?

Amara: "Just grab my hand and don't ever drop it. My love. They are the hunters we are the foxes, and we run"

Her crisp clear six year old voice softly sings the lyrics, and I can't believe what I'm hearing. I start to say something but as per usual, she interrupts me
(eye roll).

Amara: "I just thought it perfectly describes the situation we're in"

She grins smugly and takes in my reaction. I'm speechless. Two days ago she had no idea who I was and now she's singing my songs. Ok then.. I turn to her and sassily say:
"Well someone's been doing their research!"

She narrows her eyes at me and we both laugh again as the elevator doors open.
Through the glass door I can see the entourage of camera men.
I turn to her and see her smile disappear as she realizes what's waiting outside the door.

"Ready Amara? Let's go."

Still holding her hand, we sprint out the door and into the car as the paparazzi go crazy.. They've never seen her face before, and now that they know she's been with me for 24 hours, I don't want to even imagine how many are going to be outside my apartment when we get back...ugh.

We get to the restaurant about 5 minutes later, and Amara and I quickly run in. Karlie is already there.. YES! And as per usual she's typing something into her computer. I direct Amara in her direction and Karlie immediately looks up and grins. I expect Amara to act shy, and try to
hide behind me but she marches up in a full fledged burst of confidence and introduces herself:

"Hi! I'm Amara and it's really nice to meet you!!"

She holds out her tiny hand and Karlie looks up at me clearly impressed before responding to the bubbly six year old

Karlie: "Well hi miss Amara! It is so very nice to meet you too."

Karlie gives Amara a hug and then rushes to me. Giving me a hug as well, she hastily starts packing up her stuff; all the while explaining about how busy she is with her coding classes at NYU.

At the word coding Amara perks up and starts talking. Once again, I'm shocked.

Amara: " I know how to code!! It's so cool!! Do you know Java Script?! What about C+? Honestly Java is my favorite because well you can do a lot with it, but I guess C+ isn't that bad... It depends on the situation I guess..."

She trails off as she notices us looking at her in absolute shock. Karlie shoots me a Taylor-where-did-you-find-this-girl kinda look and then hastily answers Amara's question.

Karlie: "I love both of those but ya! You're right...Java script is prettyyy cool. How long have you been coding?"

Amara looks cautiously at both of us before answering:

Amara: " My.. Um.. My dad taught me about a year ago.."

She fidgets and looks down at the ground, clearly uncomfortable. I go to hug her, but Karlie gets there first. She leans down so that she's eye level with her and smiles:

Karlie:"That is so so cool!! You need to come over and we can code it out!!"

Amara grins enthusiastically and just as she's about to say something, Adam, my mom, and my dad walk in. It is so good to see them!! It's been such a long time!! I quickly go hug all of them and then grab Amara.

"Mom, dad, so this is Amara!"

I can't express the amount of pride I have when Amara confidently and cutely walks up to them with her hand extended.

Amara: " Hi! It's so nice to meet both of you!"

She accepts both of their hugs without flinching, and I know how hard that must have been for her. Right then I realize how much she's trying to make a good impression, and a wave of pure love for this little girl sweeps over me again. When I tune back in to what's going on, I hear Amara enthusiastically chatting away to Karlie, Adam, and my parents about how much she loves the cats, and I can't help but breathe a small sigh of relief. This is going perfectly!