A Bittersweet Welcome Home

Amara's POV:
•Nashville•

My tears have dried and I'm clutching Meredith on the floor as Karlie and Austin talk frantically outside.

Karlie found me sobbing ten minutes ago and then called Austin who, as you'd expect, came rushing home from his party within five minutes. Their worried voices are echoing in the hallway and I can hear them debate if they should call Taylor or not.

Karlie wins the argument and I watch her pull out her phone and walk into the room where I am still curled up tight into a little ball. I just want to disappear.

They both have definitely never seen me this upset before.

"Hey honey.. I'm calling Taylor right now.. everything's going to be alright".

I don't answer but I move closer to her and she pulls me onto her lap before putting the phone on speakerphone. Ten seconds later, Taylor's worried voice sounds through the phone:

"Karlie is she okay? where is she can I talk to her?!"

I shake my head at Karlie signaling that I'm not going to answer and bury my head into her sweatshirt as she answers Taylor's question.

"Tay I've got her right here.. You're on speakerphone.."

I notice that she purposely leaves out the answer to the "is she okay" part of the question.

Taylor's voice hurts to listen to, especially now that I'm not going to be with her for much longer.I'm done with the constant pretending to be okay all the time because right now? I'm not fine at all.

Karlie shifts and I feel her press the phone to my ear. Almost immediately Taylor's voice surrounds me and I almost break down. Her voice is such a comforting familiar sound.

"Amara sweetheart.. I am so sorry for yesterday.. I love you so much and I never wanted to hurt you".

I hear her voice crack and a few sniffles before she continues:

"I'm in flight right now and I'll be there in about an hour.. I miss you and I am so so so sorry.. When I get back we'll talk about it all.."

I take the phone from Karlie and my eyes cloud with tears as I say something back in a whisper:

"Taylor I'm sorry too".

And I press the end button before my emotions take over and I tell her about the prison and what's going to happen in a week or so.

Karlie basically has to wrestle the phone out of my hand as I fully break down in heavy sobs..

I don't care who's watching anymore.. I'm done.

More frantic voices sound from the hallway and I hear Andrea and Scott making their way up.

I contemplate sitting up and pretending to be fine but given how much I've cried, this isn't going to happen.

I've always been proud of the way I've been able to control everything in my life. But I can't control this.

I'm not going to be living here in a week.

Just that realization makes me cry more as Andrea,Scott and Austin burst into the room.

I peek up at them from my position on Karlie's lap and they have this intense look of worry on their face which is almost comical..

I can't help but laugh and then that laughing turns into full on heaving sobs which are mixed with giggles.

I hear Austin say something about a mental breakdown and I laugh harder before abruptly stopping and burying my face back in Karlie's shirt.

Calm down Amara.

Andrea says something about Taylor's plane landing soon and I take this opportunity to get up, and run to the bathroom. I feel like I'm going to throw up and I do.. I'm vaguely aware of Karlie holding my hair back as I take a deep shuddering breath and heave into the toilet.

I collapse on the floor a second after and sit on the tile just gazing up at the mirror. The face that looks back at me doesn't seem to be mine and I laugh again. My eyes are red rimmed and swollen; all color seems to have left my face and my hair is wild and tangled.

I'm a mess.

Around me, the decision is made quite quickly to put me to bed and before I know it, I'm being carried and lowered into Taylor's bed by Austin.

Gosh am I tired.

Maybe if I sleep I'll wake up and this entire day will be a dream..

Karlie gets in right next to me and I can feel her stroking my hair as I slowly fall asleep.
_______
Taylor's POV:
My six year old foster daughter has just had, from what I'm hearing, a mental breakdown.

Austin admitted to letting her be on her own at home and I yelled at him for quite a bit. I'm now in the car on my way home from the airport and I'm a mess.

I'm so worried about her.

Karlie explained that she had found her curled up in a ball on the floor before she went into this sobbing rampage.
I should've never left for New York.. I'm kicking myself for going.

She said she was fine..she obviously wasn't and I'm her foster mother.. I should've known!!

As the car takes the familiar turn to my parents house I contemplate what I'm going to do. I'm going to move us both to my apartment for tonight.. Maybe then I'll be able to get to the heart of what's really going on..

I thought about this the whole plane ride over, and I don't think what happened yesterday is the root cause for the breakdown.. I have a sinking feeling that something happened, and knowing Amara it's got to be huge to trigger this kind of reaction.

She's little miss perfect.. Or at least she always tries to be.. Which makes this all the more worrying.

I finally get home about four minutes later.

Karlie and my family are gathered in the kitchen and they all spring up when I walk through the door. Jumping up, they direct me upstairs immediately and I drop my stuff and sprint up the stairs.

With shaky hands I make my way up to my room and look with utmost worry at my sleeping six year old.

Oh I missed her so much.

Her eyelids are gently fluttering and she looks so peaceful that I don't want to wake her.

I debate on what to do, and finally I crawl into bed with her and gently shake her awake.

Bright green eyes meet mine and she lets out a small whimper before launching herself in my arms and holding on tight.

I hug her back even tighter as she starts to cry into my sweater.

"Hey sweetheart..I'm home".

Yay!! Taylor's home!!
But will Amara tell her?
Thank you all for reading and ily
4+ votes for an update?
:R: