[Chapter 10] Used to Know Her

-Natalie's POV-

For some reason, Ian said that he had to go get something too. I crossed my arms when he told me that. He kissed me on the cheek and dashed down the flight of stairs. What could Rachael, Anthony, and Ian all need at a hospital?

I turned around and joined the buzz of the room. Everyone was talking about different things, and it was hard to focus on any one thing someone was saying.

About twenty minutes later, Anthony returned but no Ian or Rachael. He looked horrible - under his hood, I could see a scowl on his face. And he was shaking and twitching.

"Hey! Where have you been?" I greeted, walking up to him.

"I don't want to talk about it," He replied through his teeth. He pushed me to the side and walked over to the big window in the waiting room that gave a nice view of the city.

"What's wrong with you?" I inquired loudly. The entire room had quieted down, focusing on the potential fight Anthony and I were possibly going to have.

"You want to know what's wrong?" He retorted angrily, spinning around to look at me, "RACHAEL'S DEAD AND IT'S ALL MY FUCKING FAULT!" Gasps and sputters spread across the room. My perky expression turned into sadness, disbelief, and fear of Anthony. I've never seen him so upset.

Just then, Ian showed up, walking up behind me, panting, "Hey, why is...everyone so...quiet?"

I turned around and just stared at him, my eyes watering up.

"Ian? Is what Anthony says true?" Shane inquired quietly.

He straightened his posture and gulped, "That...that depends. What did he say?"

"That's Rachael's dead," I answered him sternly, my heart beating against my chest. I didn't want to believe it, I honestly hoped that he was joking. But who would joke about something like that? Not even Anthony's that cold...

Ian looked behind me at Anthony, and I did too. Everyone was looking at him. And instead of making eye contact with any of us, he was looking at this feet, avoiding our glances.

"Anthony, tell us what happened," Mari insisted politely. No response.

A few more people tried to get Anthony to spill the beans, but all of them ended unsuccessfully. Until Ian decided to speak up, clearing his throat before saying, "Guys...Rachael's dead. Kalel killed her," The entire room went silent, shocked by the news they heard. I even swore that my heart stopped beating for a second, "I found her tied to a chair, in a hospital room, slit in the throat. Anthony was sitting on the floor, shaking, probably having one of his panic attacks," I looked back at Anthony, he had turned around again and was looking out of the window.

"I still can't believe they followed us here! And now they killed Rachael!?! What is wrong with them?" Toby exclaimed, breaking the silence that resided between us after Ian's story.

"Well, we can't run again," Joey remarked, "That's not an option. They'll find us again. For sure. If they can find us here, I'm positive they can find us anywhere. I know Kalel."

"No, you used to know her," Anthony grimly retorted under his breath, turning around slowly, "The Kalel you and I used to know isn't here anymore, Joey. Whoever that bitch is killed my girlfriend, and she's going to get her revenge regardless of who she has to take down."

"What about Melanie?" I inquired, "You know, she came to the house too to warn us." That comment sparked a conversation between everybody.

"GUYS!" Anthony shouted over everyone. The room went dead silent, "We can't keep talking about things. We have to start doing things. She...they," He corrected himself, "...have taken action, and so should we."

"Uh, Mr. Dawson?" The nurse had popped her head out of the hallway, interrupting the speech Anthony was probably going to give us.

"Yes?" He replied, walking up to her.

"It appears that your mother is waking up from her coma, would you like to come and see her?" The nurse questioned, pointing down the hallway.

He lit up almost instanteously, "Fuck yeah!" He pushed the nurse to the side and rushed down the hallway into the hospital room.

We all flooded into the room, lining up against the wall as Shane was reunited with his conscious mother. It was really nice to see that one of our parents was going to make it...
Later that night, my parents woke up too. I was so happy to see them alive and well. Ian and I stood over my mom's bed and Anthony went over to my dad. My dad didn't seem to happy to see him and not Rachael, but he eventually loosened up and began to start a lively conversation with him. Anthony forced a smile on his face, not ready to tell our dad just yet.

"When I saw that car swerving towards us," My mom was saying to me, holding my hand in hers, "I thought I was going to truly die. My life literally flashed before me. And all I could think about is that you guys wouldn't have any presents to open on Christmas."

"It's only Christmas, mom. All I need is to see you well and happy."

She frowned, "But it's two days till...wait, no, what time is it?" She squinted her eyes so she could see the clock hanging on the wall next to the television suspended from the ceiling, "No! It's Christmas Eve! I need to go get you all presents again!"

I giggled, "I'm just glad to see you awake again, Mom."

She sat up slightly, laying back down, "Where's Rachael?"

I looked at Ian quickly, my eyes wide opened. He had the same expression on his face. I turned back slowly to my mom and gulped, "Uh..."