[Elfgreen] Ambience

Evergreen sat in front of the grave, unsure of what to do. The sky had threatened rain all day, but none had ever materialized. It was a cold fall day, and the wind lashed unforgivingly at her bare arms. Evergreen didn't notice. She was in shock.

How had she drifted so close to her parents grave without noticing?

Granted, it had been a long time since they passed away and she left, and the area had changed drastically since then. Still, how had she taken a job so close without recognizing the location?

How did she show up on the anniversary of their death?

Evergreen swallowed hard. She could still remember that day all too clearly. Walking in to their modest home... seeing her parents dead on the floor, the crimson pools around them sparkling brilliantly. She only had enough money to have their graves marked by a single headstone in the middle of nowhere, so the stone had been overrun with moss and wildflowers. It looked oddly euphoric. Evergreen frowned.

They didn't deserve to have anything euphoric.

"Ah! Ever, there you are!"

Said woman snapped her head around to see Elfman come out of the brush.

He approached her, smiling brightly.

"I couldn't find you! I was beginning to get worried-"

He stopped when he noticed the tears in his partner's eyes.

"Ever..?" 

In response, she smiled slightly.

"Elfman," she raised a hand to the gravestone before her, "I'd like you to meet my parents."

He sat down next to Evergreen, frowning. The headstone was in poor condition and unreadable. He had never heard anything about her parents... and now he knew why. Understanding what it was like to feel loss, he opted to remain quietly at his guildmate's side and appreciate the ambience.

They sat there for a long while, just the two of them. When the heavens finally opened up, Elfman simply threw his coat over Evergreen's head, not wanting the woman to catch a cold. The rain only served to bring the whole mood together, clashing with the bright autumn leaves perfectly. It would be until well after dark that Evergreen decided to leave.

She stood up and offered her hand to Elfman, careful to not knock off his coat from its place.

"Come on," she asserted, smiling softly, "Let's go home."

"Hm?" Elfman looked up to Ever.

"You sure?" He gently grabbed her hand and stood up, looking at the stone that was now illuminated by moonlight.

"Yeah," Evergreen looked over at the stone herself, "My parents were never good people. They were always in debt... that's probably what did them in."

"I see..."

Elfman grabbed Evergreen by the hip and began to gently lead her away. She laughed lightly at his uncharacteristicly sweet actions.

She looked up at him.

"You know, you can be pretty kind for such a brutish man."

"Well," Elfman smiled down at her, "For you, I try."

"I see..."

Evergreen paused for a moment.

"You know, sitting here all day reminded me of why I chose this spot for my parents' grave."

"And why's that?"

"It always had the perfect ambience."

•   •   •

A/N: A short little thing, but it's cute. I like it.