Chapter Four: A Walk With Luna

CHAPTER FOUR

The bulbous woman grinned, her puffy cheeks red and like scoops of peach ice cream. I merrily followed her to behind the counter, where a wide selection of items stood. There were pink collars, red and blue ones, rainbow ones and black ones. All shapes and sizes, with Bella and chains, charmed items and tags. I pointed to one I thought may suit her. An onyx black collar with a ruby red gemstone on it's center front. She nodded, taking it down. "Delightful!" I scanned her words for sarcasm, but found none. Maybe she really was just a cheery woman.

After that, I got her a black tag with my name and room number, along with my house name. It wasnin the shape of a butterfly. Nightgown seemed to enjoy it.

As I was taking her home back to my room, her little self trotting along beside me, someone stepped from the shadows. Draco Malfoy. I took an involuntary step back, and he held up his hands in peace. "I'm only here to congratulate you. Not many can scare the daylights out of Pansy like you had. I'm impressed."

He scanned over me, and I instantly felt both annoyed and exposed. "I apologize, but I've no intrested in whatever bargain you intend on striking up. So if you'll excuse me-" I stepped around him, but he moved back Ito my path. Nightgown growled. Draco seemed oblivious Tommy new pet, and her bubbling anger. "You have no idea what your missing out on. Exquisite banquets, safety, power... You could have everything you ever wanted."

It actually sounded quite temping... But I knew if something sounded that good, and was being so willingly offered by a Malfoy, then there was a high price to pay. And not a good one, either. "No thank you." I snapped. I managed to sidestep him this time, walking quickly back to my dorm as he yelled after me about everything I would be missing out on. I didn't want to hear it. I covered my ears and began to run, poor Nightgown stumbling to keep up with my pace.

And I collided with someone head on. I flew back, landing right on my butt. I ground my teeth in pain. A hand instantly shot out to help me up, and I accepted it gratfully. Looking up at the face, I recognized Luna Lovegood. A Hufflepuff. She smiled absently. "I'm sorry." She said in her light, frothy voice. Her blonde hair fell in waves, and she had on a purple skirt, black and white stripped leggings, pink converse, and a yellow knit sweater with a rainbow scarf and pink ear muffs. Her earrings were fairies. "N-no problem... My fault..." I murmured. She kept grinning. "Would you like to take a walk? I was feeling lonely. Perhaps it was fate that I stumbled into you."

I knew Luna was a completely mad girl, and most certainly different from everyone else... But that didn't mean she wasn't nice. She seemed like quite the fun person, and considerate. A walk did sound enjoyable, after all. The air outside was crisp and clear, cold with fog and dew. It was only three in the afternoon, and I intended to spend all day alone with Nightgown in my dorm room, anyhow. May as well have a bit of fun. I nodded and she led the way immediately.

I saw she was leading out to the forest area behind Hogwarts. The Forbidden Forest. She was mad. "Um... That looks dangerous..." I noted, halting in my tracks. Luna stopped and turned around, hands behind her back. "Oh, not to worry. I know my way. And besides; it really isn't as scary as it seems. Really."

I hated to go against my gut feeling, but I trusted her. If she knows her way around here, the. She must come here all the time. I wouldn't doubt it with her mental state. And if so, then she must know safe places in it. Nightgown was still here also, so we would get an early sign if Sanger approached. I pressed my lips together tightly and followed her on, into the woods.

As we headed deeper, she came to a stop. After a few seconds of nothing, I spoke up. "What is is...?" Luna didn't turn around, but kept her back to me. "Shhh." She told me. I felt a chill. Something was wrong. At my side, Nightgown was puffed up, the hairs on her back lifted. This was very bad. "Luna, what-" I began to protest. She hushed me again. "Centaurs." She told me. Centaurs. Half horse half human creatures who run wild in the forest here. Dangerous. Skilled killers. I gasped. Peering around, I saw a few surrounding us. The held bows in their hands. "Do you know them?" I asked, hoping for appositive response. She shook her head. " I've never encountered them before. Then again, I've never gone this far." My stomach dropped. Both the answer I was hoping for. I cleared my throat, and they yelled forward. One in particular.