Chapter Ten: Don't Hesitate

CHAPTER TEN

I was on my way home, making my way out to the Quidditch field where I could appretate there. I set my trunk down, and Nighgown bounded on top of it, sitting down gracefully and watching me with intent curiosity. I gave her a sour glance. "Will you quit looking so excited?" I growled. She cocked her head to the side and peered at me, meowing. I sighed. "I'm sorry. Your right; it isn't your fault. Let's just try and make the best of it, alright?" I gave her a sad smile, and she returned it with an understanding meow.

I took a deep, calming breath, and appretated, landing in my back yard.

Father was nowhere to be seen. Not that he ever was- he always waited inside, not caring enough to come greet me and usually forgetting about my arrival. With my suitcase in my hand, I opened the door and entered the house.

The house was as it has always been -neat and tidy, your perfect appearing home. Two story's of modest royalty. Beige and other earthy colors, deep crimsons and browns that reminded me of cinnimon. I instantly took my luggage up stairs o my bedroom and put it on my bed, still made in perfection from when I left it. Although, my room appeared to be a bit... Disheveled. Things had been moved, knocked down, or even taken. I feared someone may have broken into my room, though that made no sense at all. The large flat screen TV was still there, in tact. So was my new Apple laptop and all my expensive possessions. Only a few things I noticed missing: a few pictures from Hogwarts and a glass tree figurine that Dimbledore had given to me my second year.

I had come back over break, marks of my fathers anger on me. Dumbledore had always been sweet to me, and it was just before the end of the year when he called me into his office. I stood there, silent and revere. He motioned me forward, and I did so. He gave it to me then, the fist sized, twisted trunk and sprawling branches, lush green and deep earthy brown. I asked him why.

"A tree is a symbol of many things, Claudinia. It represents growth, strength, and hope of life. The trunk of a tree shows rings. Do you know why?" I shook my head no. "They show the past years, how tough of times it was. The damage stays, hidden within the other rings and bark. You can't see it, but it's there. Strength. I think you should have it."

"But why?" I asked him again, cradling the thing to my chest carefully. He smiled softly. "I think you know why, Claudinia." He told me. I nodded, still staring at he gift. I had told my father I bought it myself, because I thought it was pretty. But it's gone, along with all my precious pictures of the place I loved most. Memories I treasured. I would have rather he had taken everything else. The extravagant luxury items and designer labeled clothes. Why take away my personal belongings? And why take anythig onthe first place?

Still confused on the subject, I went downstairs. Perhaps father was out and about, or had some pressig business to etend to. I would rather make myself believe those stories than face the truth of why he wasn't here to greet me. He didn't care. Against my better judgment, I called for him. I suppose no matter what he did to me, he was still my father, and my only family. I still lived and treasured him, through the angry punishments and unwarranted blame.

"F-father...?" I called in the empty house. My tiny voice seemed an echo, larger than I was used to. I winced. Alone. I sighed and felt unexpected tears sprig to my eyes. I just wanted him to love me. Maybe if I had been a Ravenclaw, like he wanted. If my mother hadn't been a muggle. If she hadn't left us, left him. I just diet know what to do to make him love me, to win him over. I flat like a nusance. A burden on father. But I just yerned for that fatherly love. Hugs and kisses, tucking me in at night, comferting me and telling me I was his precious little girl. Sticking up for me.