Chapter Six: Fight

CHAPTER SIX

The old hat, which has worn from all the childrens heads it has placed, looked like an old lump of brown cloth. However, as I approached it, it moved. The face of it was like two dents for the eyes, and one for the mouth. It stared down at me for a second. "Your the little Slytherin girl." He said. I nodded. I wasn't surprised- the Sorting Hat never forgets anyone. Even one who was sorted six years ago and hadn't said a word. "I wanted to ask you a question, if that's alright." I raised my tone a bit so it could reach him up there.

"Well, ask on, then!" He said with much gusto, his voice old and dusty like his crinkled exterior. I cleared my throat. Surely he got this kind of things ll the time. That's probably why Dumbledore allowed mento do such a silly thing no-questions-asked. It's probably always the same question, too. "Why did you put me in Slytherin?" I asked it. "I mean, I don't really fit with any of the houses, but why Slytherin of all?"

The hat took a moment to ponder, then replied haughtily, as if this was the most obvious query ever spoken. "I make no mistakes, young girl. Your place in Slytherin house, however, will soon be revealed. It is true that you dot seem to fit in any house... But you have connections with the Slytherin house no one else here does."

Connections... What is that supposed to mean? I opened my mouth to ask what he Kent by that, but he whisked me and I sunk away. I was no left with, in place of a question, a mind bogging riddle. Then again, what did I expect? A Chrystal clear answer? Defiantly not. Noting is that easy.

I'll just have to figure this one out on my own.

I remember when I was younger. Back when I was first placed in Slytherin house. They had all cheered for me, but I was horribly afraid. My father had urged me for Ravenclaw, and I had failed him. He would be angry. And he was. After hurting me, he gave me a long speech about how important Ravenclaw house is, and how the entire bloodline was in that house, ever since his great grandfather. I was a disappointment. A disgrace to the Vitrosis name. Uncle Ervin Vitrosis placed at the top of his house. Great cousin Deamon Vitrosis was in the Tri Wizard tournament. I, on the other hand, was a Slytherin house brat whom was weak. He blamed my filthy blood for it.

I always wondered who my mother was. She was a muggle. Why, then, had my father been with her and had a child? My lifeblood wizard father, succumbing to a muggle girl. I was the unfortunate offspring. And then, she just left. I don't even remember her.

As I continued down the halls thinking these things, I ran into Luna. She greeted me with her ditzy, happy tone. We began to continue down the passage side by side. "What were you thinking of?" She asked me. I wondered if it was that obvious I was in deep thought. Avoiding the question, I directed it back to her. "Well, I was thinking of Cornish Pixies." She told me blankly. I giggled. Luna and her absent, random mind. She repeated her previous question. "What are you thinking of?" I hesitated. "My... My childhood..." I murmured. She nodded approvingly. I thought perhaps she was actually understanding my tone, but apparently not. "I think of my childhood when I'm lonely, too. My papa- he is a wonderful man. So nice." she dazed off for a second, then blinked a few times, as if coming back to reality. Must be nice having a wonderful father. "What are your parents like?"

I thought about lying to her about my parents, but it wouldn't ry dome any good. I may as well spill. It wasn't like Luna Lovegood would spread rumors about my messed up home life. I just wouldn't tell her about the abuse. That technically is not lying... Just evading the details. "My father is a pureblood Wizard, but my mother was a muggle." I admitted.

"Ohh." She breathed, staring ahead. "Ypu said was. Is she dead?"

The question was blunt, but I was beginning to get used to her dull, without-thought questions. I shrugged. "I wouldn't know. She just... Dissapeared... I didn't even know her..." I never realized how much it hurt before. How much I wanted to know my mother. The safety, the warm hugs, the love... Something I was harshly deprived of my entire life. I've never actually been loved by anyone before.

"I saw my mother die. She was experimenting, and it went wrong. It all happened so quickly." Luna had dropped her voice, now in a smart tone. I then reused how much the two of us had uncommon. We both only had our fathers. We both wanted our mothers. I may be beat sometimes, but atleast I didn't watch my mother die as a young child. She may still even be I've out there, somewhere. Maybe she thinks of me, too. Perhaps one day I could find her. I'm sure there's a spell that would help me do so.

Luna came to a stop in front of the Hufflepuff portrait. "This is my stop. I'll see you another time." I gave her a small, forced smile, and went off my own way.

I kept walking. Luna is such a nice person. No one rely could have ever guessed her real life. Sure, she may be a little loose in the top, but she is a genuine person. She doesn't gossip, or yell, or judge. If I would have told a Slytherin about my home life, they would have laughed and judged me. Mudblood, they would have mocked. No one here, besides Luna and the officials, knew of my real muggle mother. They all supposed that since I was a Vitrosis, I had pure blood. But they didn't know me.

Hermione was a nice girl, also. And we had two classes together. I didn't, unfortunately, have any classes with Luna. I think Luna and I will be quite good friends. We seem to get along all right-

"Vitrosis!" Someone screeched my name, and I came to a cold halt, eyes widening. I peered over my shoulder, where Pansey Parkinson stood. Her face was twisted with ugly anger, and two girls stood behind her, smirks dotting their lips. Pansy had her arms by her side, most likely ready to pull her wand at me, though the girls had theirs crossed haughtily over their chests.

I was frozen with fear. How long had they been following me? Had they heard what I told Luna? Surely if they had, everyone at Hogwarts would know by morning. I swallowed the limo in my throat and swiveled slowly around to face her. "Y...yes...?" I replied. She took cold satisfaction in my obvious fear. "Why don't you do something now that your Gryffindor brats are not here to save you?"

This was my chance. An open opportunity to show that I COULD defend myself. I knew the spells. I had my wand right at my side. I had a fast draw. I could do it. All I needed to do was work up the courage to do it. Just pull out my wand and cast something. But which one? Slug vomiting? Binding? What if she recovers and comes back with something horrid?

Okay, this is enough. I'm just psyching myself out. I'll never get far unless I stop worrying. Just go for it, a one shot kind of thing. That's what it is anyways. I took a deep breath. She was vainly laughing it up with her friends, as if this would be the simplest thing in the world. It actually made me somewhat angry. Did she think I was honestly that weak? I took another deep breath. I reached down and pulled out my wand fast, pointing it at her, center in the face, my free hand extended behind me, curled.

The look on her face was, at first, in shock. Maybe a little worried. Bt just as fast, she drew out her wand as well. I froze. What spell? I didn't want to hurt her, but I didn't want to give her the ability to recover and strike back harder.

That was my mistake. Pansy shout out a spell. "STUPEFY!" She yelled, and hit me right on the chest. I flew backwards, hitting the floor. The wind knocked out of me, I raised my want at her accelerating figure. "STUPEFY!" She cast again. My body jolted. She stood over me, smiling crulely. "Not so tough now, are you?" She sneered. She raised her want at me again and opened her mouth to speak. But her voice wasn't the one I heard. "STOP!"

Pansys face fell. She was caught. And the voice came from Severus Snape.