Chapter Twenty Eight: The Ballad Of My Heart

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

The great hall was hung with hovering candles which set a light, romantic glow to the room, and white adorned every crevice. It reminded me of the cave behind the waterfall, with it's glowing ice decorations and magical atmosphere. Just beig reminded of that cave made my chest leap. Everything was white and blue. Who ever did this really went all out.

I was pacing behind the wall of the stairs. Hermione seemed nervous too, but she didn't show it as much. I, on the other hand, told myself here was mo way I would step out into he crowd. Everyone was already down there mingling, and to make an entrance now would only cause everyone to stare.

I would never make it. I would be, to the upmost, humiliated. "I'll go first, okay?" She took a deep breath. Her dress was a long flowy one, made of various shades of pink. The sleeved covered her shoulders with a transparent pink sheen. She looked a sight with her hair half-up and half-down, natural waves showing.

I nodded. If she went first, perhaps it would take off some of the pressure. I could sneak by, unnoticed, as everyone hawked in awe at the lovely Miss Granger. Hermione gave me a small smile of encouragement, then turned the corner and stepped down the staircase, into the ball.

I could hear muffling sounds of the studded gawking at her, and counted down from ten. Can't be to early, but if I'm late enough, they'll all be done staring at her and turn to me.

Once I reached one, I ford myself to step out. Hermione had ready reached the bottom of the staircase, and was talking to Harry. I waited too long. I flet my cheeks begin to blush and looked down, staring at the next step in the stairs.

My gown, after much intense searching, was a floor length ballgown: it poorer out from the waist down, strapless and elegant. Never had I worn something so daring and beautiful before.

The black strip that covered my waist up ended, going into a dark moss green from the waist down to the floor, covered atop by a mosh sheen layer of green, which was covered with modest sparkles. The glitter I could have don't without, but Hermione insisted it was breathtaking, and we would never find something better in my size if we searched forever.

She may have been right. Everyone seemed to think so, by the way they gawked, open-mouthed at me. I wished it would be over already. I could hear the hushed tones and whispers about me. My blush deepened, outstanding due to my dark, depressing outfit colors.

I couldn't seem to reach the bottom fast enough. Harry hawked at me, before finally gathering his seances and smilig at me. "You look... Gorgous." He assured me. I thanked him breathlessly. Hermione grinned ear-to-ear, and the twins approached us.

They swung their arms around my shoulders on either side. "Sorry, all! She's our date!" Fred told them humorously. "Yeah; we don't want to share her right now! The nigt is young!" George agreed, and the two boys pulled me away swiftly into the dance floor.

An upbeat melody was playing. "I... Can't dance..." I laughed. They exchanged a nonchalant look and shrugged. "We won't let anyone tease you." They said together. After a moment of pleading looks, I giggled and caved in.

Dancing with the twins was... Surprisingly more fun than I expected. They danced in a circle around me, laughing and acting generally wild. What else is new. Although, no slow songs seemed to slcome on. It was easy-going and comfortable.

When they did begin, Fred and George took turned dancing slow with me, but keeping a friendly distance and hand placement. It was, indeed, the second best night of my life. Nothing would ever compare to that night with Snape.