Chapter Fourteen: A Kiss In The Snow

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

I could see the hesitation in his eyes. I knew mine mirrored the same feeling. I blinked my eyes against the snow which was falling more heavily now, and Professor Snape reached up a hand, gently wiping away the mealting snow and water softly. I smiled at his touch. His hand lingered there for a second longer, and I reached up also, taking his hand on mine. It was chillingly cold.

"I trust you." I whispered. I could see my warn breath puff onthe cold air. "You shouldn't." He had told me this same thing before, back in his classroom, and I Stalingrad a response. Not this time.

I reached up on my tip-toes, pressing my forehead to his. I could feel my eyelids flutter, like the way they do why your tired, and I looked deep into his black eyes. From here Icould make out the slight brown huge to them, and the gleam of something I have never spotted in them before.

Ever so slowly, I closed my eyes, and I felt his lips on mine lightly only a second after. His mouth was cold, and I weighed out the reasons why parts of him, like his hands, were so cold, and others, like his torso, were so nice and warm, despite the snow. I pushed these thoughs away and enjoyed the moment. He put his other hand to my cheek, cradling my face in his hands, and I wrapped my arms around his neck.

It seemed to last forever, yet it was over too soon. He pulled away, holding my shoulders. A pang of fear hit me, thinking he pulled away from me in frustration. But when I looked up at him, something I've never seen before hit me. There was a small smile playing on his lips. I was just a ghost of one, but opposite of the smirks he usually gives out. A true hint of happiness. Tears wetted my eyes. I brought that joy. It was me.

I felt myself smile. "Thank you." I breathed, flinging myself into his arms. I burried my face in his chest and nuzzled closer, warming my numbing face. "For what?" He chuckled lightly. He brought his arms around me, a movement so forign to him I could tell. His arms were a bit stiff, like he has never given anyone an embrace before. My smile spread against his cloaks. "For giving me this feeling." I answered.

He pulled me back again, just slightly now, and ushered me on to walk. "It's getting too cold. You shouldn't be out." He told me. I shook my head. "I'm perfectly fine! I don't want to go back yet." We both knew what my words really meant. I don't want to go back and have to leave him.

He intertwined our fingers together. "I'll see you later. We can meet in my office." Our shoulders bumped as we walked. It felt natural... Normal. Though all of this was far from 'normal', I reminded myself. My life could never be normal. Not as long as I wanted Snape, and not as long as I got him.

Once we were within the range of other people, he let me go. I groped blindly for him again, staring ahead at the school. I found his robe sleeve and took a hold of it. He shifted his hand and grabbed mine as my knuckes turned white against the grip. "Stop." He told me.

It wasn't a harsh, barking order, but I still looked up at him with wide eyes. It was more along the lines of a caring warning. "I'll see you again soon." He assured me, and I gave him a half smile. He kissed my forehead and let me go, my fingers slowly releasing his clothes as he walked away.

I watched him leave, longing to stay by his side. The yerning in my soul, instead of cooling down as I thought it would have once I knew he was mine, had only managed to intensify. Now it felt like an out of control flame set loose in me. All I knew was that I had to have him. And I did. Yet, the absence of him next to me made it feel as though I didn't.

Dot worry, I soothed myself, you will see him again soon. Don't be so clingy. The first person you have that shows you love, and you cling to them for dear life. Just cool it. Don't ward him off. Sighing, I began my walk back to the castle.