7. Next to me

Oliver's eyes fluttered opened. He turned his head slowly from side to side trying to figure out where he was. His last memory was being shot repeatedly, falling backwards and then blacking out.

"He's awake!" A voice called.

His vision was still a bit blurry so he couldn't yet make out the person who said that.

"Thank God," He sensed someone approaching him.

A blonde woman with glasses became clearer and clearer until he realized it was Felicity.

"Felicity," He whispered.

"It's okay. I'm here." She placed her small hand in his and he squeezed it gently.

"You killed my father. I should have been the one to take him down." Nyssa said bitterly before leaving the room.

"I'll go check on her. I'm glad you didn't die." Laurel said as she took after Nyssa.

"And to think you married her." Felicity rolled her eyes.

Oliver laughed softly before sitting up.

He looked around at the three people closest to him: Thea, Felicity and John. They were his family. He had failed them. He took their trust, love and friendship and crushed it as if it meant nothing to him. He was determined to make up for it somehow.

"Words could never express how sorry I am. I'd rather have died than have you all think I could treat you so terribly." Oliver began to speak.

Felicity and John exchanged a look, but didn't interrupt him.

"You guys are so important to me. You had my back through some tough situations. Even after everything I had done recently, you still stood by my side. Thank you."

"Well we had to save the city too ya know." Thea's face broke out into a smile.

"And you did. You didn't need my help. One thing I've learned from tonight is that this city no longer needs me. It has a pretty great group of people that are more than capable of protecting it right here."

John smiled at the compliment. It would take a while before he trusted Oliver again, but knowing Oliver as well as he did, he also understood his actions.

"I guess we learned from the best, huh?"

"I won't take credit for that. You all do what you do because you love this city just as much as I did."

"Did?" Felicity caught on.

"Yeah," He turned to face her.

"I loved this city, but there's something I love more, or should I say someone?"

"What are you saying exactly, Oliver?" Felicity dared to ask.

"Remember when I said I couldn't be with you and save the city?"

She nodded her head. Those words haunted her constantly; she'd never forget them.

"Well," He looked down at their joined hands before looking into her eyes once more. "I want to be with you."

"Oh my God," She gasped. She had wanted to hear those words for so long. He had finally said them, yet this all felt so unreal.

"Do you mean it?" She asked quietly.

"Of course I do, Felicity." He pulled her closer to him. He had long forgotten that his sister, John and Ray were in the same room.

They, feeling a bit uncomfortable, yet happy for them, left the bunker. Except Ray. He wanted Felicity to be happy no matter what. It broke his heart to see her and Oliver together, though.

Felicity practically held her breath in anticipation as she closed her eyes. The kiss was gentle, yet passionate. They both tried to convey just how much they had missed and loved one another.

A lazy smile spread across Felicity's face as she laid her head against Oliver's chest.

"I've missed you." She admitted.

"And there wasn't a day that went by where I didn't think of you. Hoping that I'd see you again and telling myself that this could be possible if only I survived the league; it's what kept me going." Oliver said.

"How about we get out of here? No offense, but I don't want to sleep on this makeshift bed with you." Felicity laughed.

Oliver's chest rumbled with laughter too.

"Okay. Your place right? I don't even know if I have a home at this point." Oliver joked.

Felicity sat up and pulled him with her.

"Well Thea sorta moved in with Laurel. Your place is very much vacant. But yes, I was hoping we could go back to my apartment."

"That's fine with me." Oliver replied. He took her hand as they walked out. He flicked off the light switch for the very last time.

As they left, Oliver didn't feel sad. He felt that he had made the right decision. He had pushed his own feelings aside for far too long and denied himself of happiness. He couldn't continue to string Felicity along either. He loved her and now he had the chance to prove it.

"You know we're going to have to talk about everything." Felicity said as they reached her car.

"I know," Oliver knew he wasn't out of the woods yet.

"But for now I just want to enjoy tonight. I just want to be with you." Felicity smiled at him.

"That's all I've ever wanted." Oliver smiled back. He told her to get in the passenger side and he'd drive them to her place.

"Are you really alright?" Felicity asked feeling concerned.

"None of the bullets went through; they just left bruises. I've been through worse." Oliver shook his head.

"Okay," Felicity replied as she buckled her seat belt and leaned her head against the car's headrest.

...

By the time Oliver had pulled up to Felicity's apartment, she was fast asleep. He smiled as he took in her sleeping form. She looked so peaceful. He shut off the engine, pocketed the keys and went around the other side to lift her out of the car.

She sighed, but didn't wake up. He held onto her a bit tighter as he let them inside and headed for her bedroom.

Thankfully she still hadn't wakened up. She appeared to be extremely exhausted. He laid her down and carefully removed her shoes. He spotted a blanket nearby and placed it over her gently.

"Good night, Felicity," He whispered as he went to lie next to her. He draped an arm over her carefully and he found himself drifting off too.