3. backfire

Cassidy motioned for him to go on

"Coleman is right about them being the best, but you can't expect them to embrace the Bureau's standards of conduct. They're very informal in their ways and looks, and cherish that as a trademark signature of the team."

Cooper's assistant was already there with the coffee. Brock considered the risk of an ulcer if the conversation went on longer, then accepted one more cup. Cassidy sipped his coffee and nodded his approval at the assistant, who vanished as stealthy and swift as she'd come.

Cassidy went on. "So no ties and suits for them. What else?"

"Our training schedule, sir. They wouldn't follow through the whole process. It'd be boring for them, considering their background."

"That could work for us, to have them sooner in the field. And what about discipline? Do they respect hierarchy?"

"They only follow Lieutenant Gillian's lead."

"I see. And what about her? Does she follow the chain of command?"

"No."

Russell's glare drilling his temple reminded Brock of Fred's scope, but he didn't even glance at his partner.

"No?" Cassidy repeated, a bit surprised.

Okay, time to be crystal clear and do Cassidy a favor. "You cannot expect her, therefore the whole unit, to play by the book. They're efficient and they get results, but only on their own terms. And that may mean overlooking protocols and procedure rules. If you want them in the Bureau, their senior officers need to be aware of their peculiarities and willing to be lenient. Very lenient. On the long run it will pay off. But on the short run, it will cause distress among the rest of the staff, because they would rightfully wonder why this unit is granted such a soft hand about things any other agent might be sanctioned for."

Russell and Cooper turned pale at Brock's calm, methodical exposition, but Cassidy wasn't done with his questions.

"Then how did she manage to serve in the force for twenty years? How did she even make it past detective?"

"Because she's very good, sir," Brock replied in his flattest tone. "What I mean is that she wouldn't follow an order only because it comes from her superior, but that's because she's got very high standards. So she doesn't pay attention to ranks, but to the moral authority a person has in her eyes."

"So she has to respect someone to obey their orders."

"Yes, sir."

Cassidy nodded, and Brock realized in horror the man actually liked his answer.

"Can you name at least a couple of persons she respects enough to obey?"

It was some sort of challenge for him! What kind of man was his new boss?

"Agent Cooper."

"That's good, if we want them working here, right?"

Cooper nodded at the speed of light.

"And what about yourselves? Would she obey you, Coleman?"

Russell clenched his teeth and shook his head, promising himself he'd break Brock's nose, at least half his teeth, and push him into a hell's pit-deep ditch at the first chance he got.

"No?"

"No, sir, we're too close."

Cassidy turned to Brock, expecting him to elaborate on Russell's answer. And he did.

"They've been good friends for too long and she's a natural leader. She sees Coleman as her peer."

"But she respects Brockner a lot," said Cooper.

Now Cassidy finally flashed the smirk he'd been keeping to himself over the whole conversation. "Yes, I've heard about that... What d'you think, Agent Brockner? Is Cooper right?"

Brock just nodded. It felt like hanging a big heavy rock from his neck and jumping into icy waters. He only wished he could drag that big-mouth Burton down with him.

"And what about me? Would she respect me?"

Brock breathed deep. It'd been nice, being back in the field for almost a year. This time it wouldn't even be giving those hideous, useless seminars. It would be labeling dusty boxes of evidence from closed cases at some basement, ten levels below the ground. In Greenland.

"I think she'd like you, sir. But I don't know you to tell if you could earn her respect, enough to make her accept your lead."

The thick silence that followed Brock's flat answer was disturbed by Cassidy's chuckle. Brock forbid himself to shake his head. The man was delighted—no, thrilled at the perspective. Well, maybe he'd keep his field agent status after all. As Gillian's senior. The seminars weren't that hideous after all, were they? And archives were quiet. He liked quiet.

Cassidy stood up, still smiling. "Agents, take the rest of the day off. Coleman, I want to meet Lieutenant Gillian asap, so try to fix it for tomorrow. Brockner, go home and pack, you're coming back to DC with me in two days. Cooper, can we have lunch today? We have plenty to discuss, including my stealing Brockner away ahead of schedule." He strode among three frozen statues and flashed his last smile from the door. "Have a nice day."

Brock reacted enough to ask, when the man was already out the door. "Sir, you said pack... How long...?"

"Permanently, Brockner. From this moment you're working directly for me," said Cassidy, and walked away.

"Great! You bought your ticket back to DC at Reg's expense," Russell snarled, brushing past Brock out of the office.

Brock stiffened at the unexpected hostility in Russell's voice. What?

"Good job, Brockner. Hope you're glad." The second slap came from Cooper, standing behind him by her desk.

He turned around and met Cooper's cold glare.

"I've been working for months, waiting for a chance to recruit Gillian and her unit for the Bureau. And you just screwed it for a fast lane out of here. Never thought you had it in you."

Brock decided it was enough of accusations. Especially after such a backfire in his face. He took one step closer to her, holding her glare with one of his worst scowls. Cassidy had just said that he was working for him, right?

"In case you didn't notice, I just served you the SCU on a silver plate," he replied in a low, angry hiss.

The furniture cracked under a thin layer of frost, spreading all over in a heartbeat, while they still glared at each other. But Cooper understood he was right, so she nodded curtly and glanced at the door. Brock nodded back, spun around and left the office.