13. out of business

None of the guards was around, so Aldana and Hank jumped into the backyard and crouched behind some barrels lined by the gates

None of the guards was around, so Aldana and Hank jumped into the backyard and crouched behind some barrels lined by the gates. Gillian jumped down, sticking to the wall behind the tree, and signaled Cassidy to do the same.

One of the armed guards stormed out of the back storage as another came out from the back workshop. While they hurried the workers out to the backyard and into the back storage, the third guard showed up with a large can of fuel and run to the cold shed past the tree.

Gillian left the cover of the tree when the thug was almost there and stretched out her leg, tripping him down. Before the man was able to know what was going on, Gillian sank her knee in his back and twisted his arm behind him to cuff him.

Cassidy saw she got it covered and ran to the backyard. There, the guards had retreated into the workshop and opened fire against Hank and Aldana with silenced guns. Hank covered Aldana, who sneaked behind the barrels to the back storage, where the captives had taken shelter.

Cassidy moved along the door wall, trying to take the guards by surprise.

"Cassidy!" called Hank, stopping him.

At the same time, he heard a suffocated groan and one of the thugs fell out the door, face to the ground. Hank showed up behind the barrels and shot again. Aldana had almost reached the back storage and shot as well. Gillian flashed by Cassidy to the back-storage open door, to tell the captives to stay inside.

Cassidy reached the doorframe and glanced at Hank, who nodded. But before he could take another step, he heard Aldana call on the radio, "Fred!" She stepped boldly away from the barrels to catch the attention of the only guard still standing, her Glock aiming to shoot him in the head. Cassidy saw the thug's barrel showing out and had a glimpse of the red line of light coming from across the street. Another suffocated moan and the last guard crumbled down on top of his fellow.

Cassidy looked up, trying to spot Fred on the roof, but failed. Even in broad daylight, the sniper remained invisible. When he looked down again, Hank was already by the fallen thugs, kicking away their guns as he called for an ambulance. Gillian and Aldana were at the back storage, trying to calm down the shocked captives. So he turned around and went back to the cuffed man, still wriggling on the ground like a worm.

At the front side of the building, the manager took a look at the court order and invited Ron to see the legal workshop, behind the offices area. Acting as if it were just a routine, even expected inspection, the man showed him around, speaking about the company novel techniques to process recycled fabrics.

"That's why we're Green Textile, you see, Agent," Farrell said as they walked into the workshop, where employees worked like busy bees.

"I see." Ron nodded, most of his attention following the team's moves over the radio. He pointed at the door across the large room, closed with a big padlock. "What's there?"

"Oh, that part of the facility is closed. When we started the company, we thought we'd need twice the people we're currently employing, so we set up another workshop, just like this one you see here. But you know, the economy didn't allow us to get that far, so we just closed the second workshop. We still keep all the machinery, though, hoping we'll be able to use it one day, and open new jobs for so many people that need it nowadays."

"I need to see that workshop, Mr. Farrell," Ron said, silk sliding over steel.

The man patted his pocket and produced his phone, frowning. "Excuse me, Agent, I need to take this. And then I'll show you the closed workshop."

He stepped just a couple of yards away to take the fake call—and buy a few moments for his thugs to finish emptying the place.

"So?" Ron whispered on the radio, as soon as the man turned his back to him.

"Missing you already, sugar," came Gillian's relaxed answer.

Ron was forced to erase his smile when Farrell joined him back. They walked across the workshop in no hurry, too slow even for Ron's crutches. Farrell produced a bunch of keys and tried to win some extra seconds, pretending he wasn't sure which one was the key to the padlock.

But he finally had to open it. And froze right where he stood.

Across the back workshop, the door to the backyard was wide open. Gillian was there, resting against the doorframe, twiddling a pair of handcuffs. Aldana moved among the sewing machines with a little girl in her arms. When Ron came in, the little girl pointed down and Aldana leaned with her to pick up a broken, dirty doll from the concrete floor. Past Gillian, out at the backyard, the gates were open for police uniforms to lead the captives out, while paramedics took away the wounded thugs cuffed to their stretchers.

Ron paused to turn to Farrell, who was still frozen, gawking. Gillian strolled across the room to join him.

"Mr. Farrell, meet Special Agent Gillian," Ron said with an angelic smile.

She was about to speak when Cassidy showed up at the exit. "Hey, Gillian! Fancy a ride to the waterside?"

Aldana hurried out with the little girl. Gillian smirked, handing the handcuffs to Ron. "Please do the honors," she said.

"You're joining Russell, right?"

"Looks like."

"You bastards. Keep having all the fun."

"Can you handle Cooper?"

"Only if there's a beer waiting."