4. profile for me

**picture: Kim Basinger, You Can Leave Your Hat On

They got out of the SUV and headed to the door. As Brock held it for her, she walked in, saying, "I've been thinking... What if there was no isolated stressor? What if the stressor was his whole life? Is it possible?"

Brock followed her, frowning. She'd said she'd never seen that kind of pathology, and he could tell she hadn't read about it, either. But her inquisitive mind wanted to know more, to understand. It could be interesting, making her apply what she did know to this subject and see how far she was able to go with her conclusions.

"What d'you mean?" he asked.

Gillian knew that expression and that tone. He was paying real attention to her words. Oh, Gosh, she loved it when he got in a teaching mood, like that lunch at Boloco, back in November. Now she was sure he wouldn't be pissed if she didn't express herself in a proper-fed way.

They walked together to the conference room as she spoke, oblivious to the world around them. "I'm still going around his mother issue. I picture this big, imposing lady, barking at her son around the clock, telling him he's never gonna be a real man."

Brock opened the conference-room door.

She was so engaged that she walked in backwards, still talking to him. "So the boy grows up with his one-day-I'm-gonna-show-you-bitch, and makes up his fantasy to prove Mom what a real man he is. And he spends years at it, lining out every little detail."

He hated to interrupt her, but he signaled her to pause and turned to Russell. "Coleman, please ask Sergeant Baldwin to gather his people, so we can deliver the profile." He faced Gillian again. "You were talking about the subject's fantasy."

The team traded a look, a little surprised about them discussing the case in such good terms. However, they made themselves at home to enjoy the show, because Gillian and Brock talking about profiling was always worth it.

Only then she realized they were there, and hesitated. Shouldn't she at least tell them what they were talking about, to bring them into the conversation?

But Brock didn't want her to get distracted. He met her eyes and said, "Go on." It's here, Gillian, you can feel it. Physical. The same pull when I profiled Palmer for you. Grasp it and don't let go. Connect the dots like you always do. This time we're doing it the other way around. I want you to profile for me.

Gillian felt the heat creeping up her face, but she held his eyes and breathed deep. It's the lads, so it's okay. And Brock... She could tell he wanted to take her all the way. And she wanted so badly to do it. Working a profile with him almost from scratches, on a pathology she was facing for the first time. It was the old dream coming true again. He was completely focused on her now, waiting for her to elaborate what she was saying. She looked away from him to stay focused, and started pacing slowly along the board. Brock stood by it, eyes on her and hands in his pockets. Open.