2. moving in

Russell walked out of the elevator at the fifth floor and halted, just in time to give way to two maintenance men, carrying a desk from the stairwell into the general office

Russell walked out of the elevator at the fifth floor and halted, just in time to give way to two maintenance men, carrying a desk from the stairwell into the general office. Right on their heels came Fred and Hank with another desk.

"Hey, Russ," said Hank.

"Hey, guys. What're you doing?" he asked, following them.

"Since you were late to teach us the 'How To Tie Your Shoes Like A Fed' procedure, we decided to lend a hand setting up our office," replied Hank.

"Your office?"

"Yep."

Gillian and Cooper were outside the conference room. On his way to join them, Russell saw the large room had been cleared. Inside, Aldana and Kurt pushed a desk. Ron, hopping around with his crutches, deployed a coffee machine on a small table under the window opening to the street. None of them wore suit, of course, but their gear had changed from flannels to light shirts and ironed jeans. And Fred had his hair in a short ponytail. Kurt had tried that too, but his hair was so frizzy that he was forced to admit that trimming it was the only way it didn't look like a wild bush.

"Good morning," Russell said and pointed to the conference room, smiling. "So it's here?"

Cooper nodded, not a hint of a smile.

"Excuse me, sir," said Fred, faking a respectful tone.

Russell swallowed a chuckle, stepping aside to let them bring the desk in and let the maintenance men back out.

"Are you sure a plasma and a couple of boards is all you need, Gillian?" asked Cooper.

"Yes, ma'am," replied Gillian. "We'll do the wiring to the server with Philips' assistance."

Russell listened to them, pretending to watch the others move the desks in place. Cooper still couldn't get used to call Gillian "Agent" instead of "Lieutenant", so she had settled for her last name. Gillian, on the other hand, had developed a unique tone to address her new boss. It was a weird mix of warm and distant, and it seemed to work miracles on the Iron Lady. Not as far as to make her smile or seem friendly, but during the team's first week, Russell had never seen her scowl at Gillian, and her harsh ways were somehow softened around his friend.

"The conference room at the third floor is still available, if you change your mind. And it's larger."

"This space is perfect, ma'am. And I'd rather work close to your office, in case I need to consult you about anything."

"Okay. The computers will be here in a while." Cooper turned to Russell. "You should be able to start as soon as they're settled."

"Yes, ma'am."

Cooper nodded again, always serious and dry, spun around and clicked away to her office.

Russell met Gillian's eyes with an ironic smile. "In case I need to consult you. Really."

She raised her eyebrows. "She needs to check and report on our every move, so I better stay in her sight. I don't like petty snitches in the way."

That was why Cooper couldn't help softening around Gillian, Russell thought. His friend understood the situation and did everything she could to make it easier for all of them.

They went together to the staff kitchen for some coffee.

"So what d'you have for us today?" teased Gillian. "Five Knots For Proper Fed Ties?"

Russell chuckled. "Actually, today we're supposed to go through the protocol for Amber Alerts."

"Thought that was for the CARD and the BAU."

"Until we recruit Scotty to instantly beam them down to the site, they still need a couple of hours to arrive. And you know those first hours are crucial."

Gillian gawked. "Really?"

Russell rolled his eyes, shaking his head while Gillian laughed.

"Good Lord, I'm gonna beg Cassidy on my knees to throw you to the field soon, before I gut you guys myself."