20. the other side of the wall

"You sure you don't wanna send Ron over?"

Aldana took off her shirt and threw it in Gillian's face as she chuckled.

"I mean it."

"Thanks, but I'm not that desperate, you know?"

Gillian's expression directed a top to land on her shoulder, since Aldana missed her face this time.

"Really. I'm not spending my first night with him around you guys, so you can make fun of me from here to Doomsday."

Gillian kicked her boots off, shrugging. "Yeah, you're right. Anyway, if push comes to shove, you can always take a cold shower, right?"

"Reg!"

"Speaking of which, I'm taking a shower now."

"Enjoyed your ride with Brockner that much?"

Aldana ducked to dodge a pair of flying jeans, giggling, and Gillian closed the bathroom door between them.

Enjoyed the ride. Sure. Like the word enjoy would fit in the same sentence with Brock's name. She huffed, stepping into the tube, and instantly felt bad. She wasn't being fair. And she was trying to fool herself.

A sigh escaped her lips. It got so on her nerves, having him around like that. Only a week earlier he was just a name, somebody who was out of her life. Somebody she'd always remember, of course, but mostly a nominal figure. And it was so good. Because it was safe.

And then, she'd hardly stomached that he would be around again and there he was. Colder and harsher than ever, not even bothering to hide how much he didn't like her, and letting it show at every step. Once she would've loved telling him what they'd figured out. But now she just couldn't. Seeing him walk into Russell's room had squeezed her throat and made her feel utterly awkward. And most of all, unwanted. So the only thing she could do was letting the others speak. And then he'd picked up all they'd said, and gave it a clear, defined shape, with his unique sharp accuracy. It was mesmerizing. The deep, calm sound of his voice, the clarity of his concepts. She could only listen to him, his realization showing through right before her eyes, the way he wrapped his mind around the idea to word it like no one else would. While she held her breath, bewitched.

She was about to open the faucets when she heard a muffled sound from the wall. And she glared up at the tiles as if they had just punched her in the face. Because it was the sound of another shower behind that wall. And her room was the last of the hall, so it had to be the bathroom of the room across the hall—Brock's room.

The heat lashed her face ruthlessly when she realized that it meant Brock was taking a shower at that very moment, only a few inches away from where she stood naked. And she had to fight back the urge to cover herself and fled the bathroom.

"Jesus Christ!" she snarled, furious at herself, and opened the faucets.

The sound of her shower muted the murmur from behind the wall, but she couldn't erase it from her mind. All of a sudden she was hopelessly aware of him there, so close, and of all the mixed emotions it triggered inside of her. Gosh! What was wrong with her?

Aldana was surprised when she came out of the bathroom in under five minutes, but Gillian wasn't about to explain herself. Well, you see, the stupid bitter man happens to be taking a shower too, and I was just too tempted to tear the wall down and jump his bones.

"You're done?"

Gillian only nodded, keeping the towel wrapped around her as she fetched her duffel. Aldana waited a whole minute for her to say anything.

"Okay, then it's my turn."

All yours. Tell'im I said hi. She waited until Aldana was in the bathroom and sat on the edge of her bed, snorting under her breath. She knew herself enough to expect she'd get any sleep. Then her phone buzzed. She saw it was an unknown number, but it was local, so she picked up right away.

"Gillian," she grunted.

"Agent Gillian, it's Detective Wilson, with Portland PD."

Gillian narrowed her eyes. "Oh, yes, Detective, how can I help you?"

"I'm sorry I'm calling this late, but Rose Coleridge's cleaning maid just called to let us know she can't make it to the station before ten tomorrow morning."

Her lips pursed in a speculative smile. And you just had to call me after dinner time to let me know. How thoughtful of you.