5. sixty minutes

**picture: satellite image of Boston

All the conversations died away when Cooper stalked into the team's office, and they made way for her with respectful nods. She refused to sit and stood in the middle of the office, facing the plasma, arms folded and a serious scowl.

"Well?" she said, still refusing to believe they could've gathered any information so soon, enough to require her presence.

Gillian turned around. Behind her, Tanya showed on the plasma pictures to illustrate what she said. The first one was a young Hispanic man.

"This is the man that went missing, Ramon Gomez Parada," Gillian said. "Twenty-seven, from Tampico, Mexico. His long-time fiancée, Guadalupe Rodriguez Ortiz, entered the US three years ago, bearing his child, and managed to legalize her status. She lives here, in Boston, working as a maid in Back Bay. Four months ago, Ramon paid a coyote to smug him into the US by an alternative route, to avoid crossing the desert. He was brought here and taken to a textile workshop. He was supposed to slave-labor his final payment to the coyote, who would also provide him a fake green card that would allow him to stay here with Guadalupe and their child." Gillian waited for Cooper's curt nod to go on. "Over the last four days, no missing person report was filed, nobody matching his description was admitted to any hospital, and no unidentified dead bodies were found by the local PD."

The man's picture was replaced by a satellite image of South Boston, near the harbor. Tanya zoomed in to focus on an industrial property, then zoomed in again, until people were visible outside the building.

"This is the place, and the satellite shows three armed men guarding the backyard. A thermal image shows two workshops, separated from the offices area. As you can see, one of them is in the back, and the only access to it is guarded by two of the armed men. The property belongs to one Charles Miller, and it was leased years ago by Green Textile, a company owned by an industrial holding based in New York. Now Green Textile has thirty-two employees on their payroll, but the thermal image reveals almost fifty people working there thirty minutes ago, twelve of them in the back workshop. The building has an isolated area, across the parking space in the backyard, labeled as an extra storage space in the blueprints. However, there are at least two dozen people in there as we speak, including eight children. And there seems to be about thirty camping mats all around, which would indicate people living in there. The third armed man stands guard outside this storage."

The plasma showed feeds from security cameras.

"We didn't have time to look back further than the last twenty-four hours, and we're still trying to retrieve satellite thermals from the same period. But we were able to get clear images of five of the people working at the back workshop." The five pictures appeared on the plasma. "As you can see, they're all Hispanic. We're running facial recognition on them. Didn't get any match so far, and we don't expect to, either." Gillian nodded at Tanya, who showed one of the images from the security feeds and zoomed in. "Here you can also see two of the guards escorting these people to the storage across the yard."

The image focused on one of the guards and another picture showed by it, a mugshot from a prison record.

"What we did find was a match for one of them. This is Edward McPherson, AKA Mac Magnum. He was found guilty of murder and convicted to twenty-five years in 2005, yet his lawyer got him paroled for good behavior last year. McPherson is not in Green Textile's payroll and has no gun permits."

Cooper felt all eyes on her when the exposition was over. She looked down from the screen to Gillian. "Line out a possible plan of action and bring it to me," she said. Then she glanced at Russell, spun around and walked out.

Russell winked at Gillian with a quick smile and hurried after Cooper out of the office. The team turned to Gillian when the door was closed.

She flashed a tight smile. "Let's do what she said. And let's make sure the plan applies only to us."

Back to her office, Cooper waited for Russell to close the door and turned around to glare at him.

"One hour!" she snarled, like an accusation. "They were on it for hardly an hour and they got all that?"

Russell mustered his patience. "Yes, ma'am, that's how they work."

"How! How did they even got those thermal images?"

He raised his eyebrows—you sure you wanna know?

Cooper shook her head and circled her desk to her chair. She called her assistant on speaker. "Get me Section Chief Cassidy," she barked, and nodded at Russell to take a seat. "Stay, Coleman. In case he needs answers I can't honestly provide."