5. vacant

Gillian had her ritual morning tease with the security guards and headed to the elevators

Gillian had her ritual morning tease with the security guards and headed to the elevators. Her phone buzzed while she waited. Russell? So early?

"Hey, everything okay?" she asked, a little concerned.

"You tell me. Barbeque this Saturday at your place."

A bright grin replaced Gillian's worried frown. "You're coming home?"

"Hell yes."

Gillian walked into the booth and pressed the button to the fifth floor still grinning, because it'd been a while since she'd last heard Russell so happy.

"Permanent?"

"Sort of. I'll be working with the new supervisor for New England, so I'll be sort of around, but based home."

"Oh, Russ! That's frigging great! You're coming on Saturday, then?"

"Maybe Friday, or Thursday. Not up to me, you know. My boss will tell when we're leaving."

"And what about that new boss of yours? Is he on Cassidy's side, Mattock's side or Cooper's side?"

Russell chuckled at her categorization. "None of the above. You better wait and see yourself."

"C'mon, give me some!"

"Nope. It's a surprise. Don't worry, you'll find out next Monday tops. He'll be based in Boston too. Oh, I'm bringing all the manuals from the courses."

She gasped. "All of them?"

"Yep. With copies for you, of course."

"Russ, I love you."

"I know. Hard to resist."

"Should I tell the others, or d'you wanna surprise them?"

Both of them knew that 'others' meant Aldana. Russell chuckled. "She already knows."

"What!? You told her first?"

"Reg, it's Al."

"So what! Have you even kissed her? And you're already telling her before me? She should credit at least ten years of patience with you for that!"

"Okay, okay, won't happen again, promise!"

"You better."

When she walked into their office, everybody noticed her excellent mood.

"Any good news to share with the class?" asked Hank.

Gillian paused to take the mug Fred handed her. "Saturday at my place, lads. We're having a welcome barbeque: Russ is coming back home." She tried her coffee, nodded thanks at Fred with another smile and turned to the others. "He comes bearing gifts, though."

"Beware of the Greeks," said Kurt from his desk.

"What gifts?" asked Aldana.

Gillian instantly regretted her smirk—Russell hadn't told her everything. "The new supervisor for New England."