12. fifty-fifty

Brock finished packing his few personal things in his office and decided to take the box to his car

Brock finished packing his few personal things in his office and decided to take the box to his car. On his way to the elevators, he couldn't help a glance at the meeting room. Cooper and Cassidy were there, and Russell. And the whole SCU. Looked like things were moving faster than he expected, if they were already holding that preliminary meeting. But that was just the way Gillian used to do things—no break until they were done. And Cassidy wanted to close the deal before going back to DC, so the timing shouldn't surprise him.

He went all the way down to the parking lot, left the box in the backseat of his car and headed back to the fifth floor.

He didn't have any reason left to linger there, and he still had a lot to do at his apartment before leaving for DC in the morning. But he wanted to be around when the meeting was over. Then he would have a chance to talk to Gillian, and thank her for renewing his Blue Label stash. He wanted to talk to her one last time, and doing it there was just perfect. It would be only a quick, polite exchange, in plain sight for anyone to see. And that felt safe enough for Brock.

But when he got back to the fifth floor, hardly five minutes later, the meeting was already over. He saw Russell, Aldana and Tanya chatting with Brandon Philips near the staff kitchen. The rest of the team was gone. Gillian walked with Cooper and Cassidy toward Cooper's office.

So what now, Brockner? Any ace up your sleeve? How do you talk to Gillian now? But he didn't need to worry about it. He went on to his office, because he couldn't just stop and stand there, and Gillian looked up at him and flashed a quick smile.

Like an instinctive reflex, Brock nodded at her with his usual blank scowl, not stepping away from the straightest route to his office. She excused herself with Cooper and Cassidy and came to meet him right at his office's door.

"Lieutenant," he said, out of habit.

"Not anymore, Agent Brockner," she replied softly.

"You're right, I'm sorry." He noticed that behind Gillian, Cassidy didn't listen to a single word Cooper said, but observed them, his eyes fixed on Gillian's back.

So he didn't invite her into his office. He stayed there, just as planned, in plain sight of the whole office. "Thanks for the Blue Label. Again. You didn't need to." Good, that. See? Not that hard, right? He felt calm and secure, so he allowed himself to relax a little.

Gillian's eyes were captured by the hint of a smile that curled his lips when he added, "Looks like half the times we meet, I have something to thank you."

"And the other half you're saving my life, Agent Brockner," she said, not fighting the warmth in her voice.

Any trace of a smile was replaced by a concerned frown in Brock's face. "How are you?" he asked, lowering his voice.

She breathed deep. She couldn't try any clever gambit, not with him. So she shrugged. "Guess now we have a job, I can take a few days off to spiral down into depression as I need to."

Brock frowned deeper, discarding her casual tone to stick to her words. Of course she needed some time to mourn. Only two days earlier she had turned her back to no less than her father and her whole career. After surviving a situation that would demand months of psychological counseling for all the other hostages, in order to overcome the trauma. Yet there she was, holding on in order to secure a job for her team. And now forced to keep smiling and holding up her armor and her cool mask, just because he'd decided he wanted to talk to her one last time.

"If there's anything I can do..." he muttered, sinking his hands in his pockets to keep from resting them on her arms.

"You mean anything more than saving my life half a dozen times, and bringing me and my team to the Bureau through the big golden gates?" she said, and her smile was now a little ironic. Stupid caring man, would you ever stop worrying over me? "And yet you thank me for a stupid bottle of whiskey."

Brock felt a chill down his back and refused categorically to even wonder why. Lucky him, right then Cassidy decided their time was up and approached them, clearing his throat to let them know he was coming.

Gillian heard him and rolled her eyes. "This man already thinks he owns me," she whispered. "But considering Cook..."

Brock couldn't help a mild smile, because she was glad and exasperated at the same time. Cassidy was already by their side.

"Gillian, there's something more we need to talk about before you leave," said the man, boss serious.

Gillian met Brock's eyes with a conspiratorial look that made him scoff and nodded at him. "Have a good day, Agent Brockner. Guess I'll be seeing you around."

The mild smile vanished from his face. No, you won't. I'm leaving, Gillian. Please be a little more careful from now on, 'cause I won't be around to fight your dragons.

He wasn't about to say any of it, but he did think it, as he lingered alone outside his office, watching her walk away with Cassidy.