1. new post

"You're neither friend or foe
Though I can't seem to let you go."
Sara Bareilles, Gravity

Brock found Cassidy outside his office, flicking through some files with his secretary

Brock found Cassidy outside his office, flicking through some files with his secretary. The Section Chief saw him coming, took a bunch of folders from the secretary's desk and motioned for Brock to walk with him. They went down the hall Brock had come from, and he noticed the way Cassidy's eyes scanned the faces of the people passing by them. Cassidy stopped before a vacant office and signaled Brock to walk in. Brock did and turned around to face him.

Cassidy closed the door with one last glance at the hall. "Remember when Burton introduced us?" he asked, looking out through the inner window.

"Yes, sir."

"Back then he told you, like mocking me, that I intended to shake things up."

Brock narrowed his eyes, trying to guess where Cassidy was taking the conversation. Why was he acting so secretive? "I remember, sir."

"Good, because he was right. And you're gonna help me do that, Brockner." Cassidy handed him the folders. "Here you'll find a complete map of the section, with every team, unit and independent agent working for me nowadays. Along with performance rates and statistics on every one of them."

Brock nodded, not even glancing down at the folders.

Cassidy sank his hands in his pockets. His eyes moved around the office. "Things dust up when you don't sweep them for ten years. And that's what happened here under Burton." He faced Brock with his lips pursed slightly. "I think you're the one to help me set things in motion. Are you, Brockner?"

Brock frowned at his words. "I'm afraid I'm not following you, sir."

"I want you to take those reports and work on them from home. I need a realistic eval of our situation, and I want you to tell me who I need to assess to get answers, and how." Cassidy saw Brock was about to argue or ask something and flashed an ironic smirk. "What is it, Brockner? You're afraid of getting your hands a little dirty?"

Brock scowled, taken aback. "Beg your pardon?"

"There's a notorious lack of both results and commitment here, Brockner, and I'm gonna put an end to it. This section will function as it should, no matter what it takes. So I want you to tell me right now if you're willing to help me, or if you're afraid of disturbing the dinosaurs around."

Cassidy saw his words had hit the target when Brock set his jaw.

"I'm not afraid, sir," Brock replied, cold and dry. "I'm just not qualified to do what you're asking. I have no experience on Human Resources, Administration or Logistics, so I cannot assess correctly the situation as you expect me to."

"You're the best profiler in the Bureau and you have your common sense. That's more than enough for me. So, are you in, Brockner? Are you still in shape for a little challenge, or should I look for assistance somewhere else?"

Brock breathed deep, his lips a tight line as he held Cassidy's eyes. He wasn't used to that kind of aggressive recruitment, and he certainly didn't like it. But he could tell this assignment was the only reason why Cassidy had brought him back to DC.

"I'll do it," he grunted.

Cassidy nodded. "Good. We'll meet again next Monday. Take these days to settle back in. Your office will be ready by then."

Brock saw his wave at the office they were in and arched his eyebrows.

Cassidy scoffed at his surprise. "Told you that you're working for me now, Brockner, so you'll have a proper workspace to do so. Have a good week."

He spun around and strode away, leaving Brock alone in the empty office, still digesting the conversation.