9. welcome back

Brock headed straight to the fifth floor, to see Cooper

Brock headed straight to the fifth floor, to see Cooper. On his way across the main office, he noticed there was a bunch of agents in the conference room. A quick glance told him who they were, and that it was no longer a conference room: the punks had taken it over and made it their workspace. So despite being so eager to recruit them, Cooper wanted to keep a close eye on them. No wonder.

Cooper spotted him coming and walked out of her office to greet him. While they shook hands, her assistant made a couple of quick calls, and soon the staff from the other floors started to gather at the open office. Gillian and her team came out as well, and Brock saw Russell was with them. Gillian patted his back with a little smile and her friend went to join Brock and Cooper in front of the whole staff. The Iron Lady introduced Brock as the new Violent Crimes supervisor, and then waved for him to follow her to the elevators.

"We've prepared offices for you both at the fourth floor," she said. "But if they don't fit your needs, or you want to work at any other part of the building, just say so."

"Thanks. Any place will be fine," replied Brock.

By their side, Russell swallowed a smile at how hard Cooper tried to change the way she was used to address Brock, as her subordinate, and adjust to his new senior status.

They went up to the double office and Cooper said, "Here. Let me know if you need anything else."

Brock let Russell walk in first as he said to Cooper, "Thanks. Please inform Agent Gillian and her team that they're needed at Portland." He noticed her scowl. "Chief Cassidy wants them on this case. So we'll be leaving as soon as they're good to go."

Cooper's face was a neon sing—you think we're not ready to work, Mr. New Supervisor? "They're ready to leave when you are."

"Good. In thirty minutes, then. We're gonna need three vehicles, please."

She nodded, wrapped up in her dignity like a cloak, spun around and clicked away. Brock let out a heartfelt sigh. He should've known better. The last thing he wanted was starting off on the wrong foot with Cooper.

He joined Russell, who grinned like a boy in Christmas with the welcome basket of office supplies waiting for him on his desk, along with three framed pictures. The office smelled of a fresh, discreet natural scent. Besides the inner window to the hall, it had a small window opening to the parking lot down below. The walls were just painted in a cream hue that reflected daylight in a warm way. The dark blue carpet looked brand new, like the blinds on the windows.

Brock stepped closer as Russell placed the frames on the modular behind the desk. A single look at them told him who'd left the basket. One of the pictures showed Russell with his mother, there was another one of him with Gillian and Connor, and the third one was from the gala, back in December—Russell, his mother, all the punks, Connor and Andrea. Even Brock was in that one, and he had to admit he looked rather out of place with his stiff scowl among all those grins. Well, it was an honest reflection of how he felt around them.

"So we have a case?" Russell asked, turning to him. "Thought we wouldn't be on the watch line."

Brock sighed again. "Yeah, but Cassidy called me a while ago. It may be a serial, and there are no available profilers to send over." He pointed his thumb over his shoulder. "I'm gonna check the file and send you a copy."

"I'll forward it to T, so the team has it too."