11. the outsider

Russell was taken completely aback when he found Cassidy at Gillian's place

Russell was taken completely aback when he found Cassidy at Gillian's place. But a single glance at his friend told him they had reached some kind of agreement, so he swallowed the hundred questions he was dying to ask.

"Wanna stay for dinner, Agent?" she invited, helping Russell with the grocery bags he carried from his car.

"If you're sure I won't bother you guys," Cassidy said, taking the last bag and following them. "It's way better than eating alone at the hotel."

Connor stiffened when Cassidy walked into the family room, but just like Russell, seeing Gillian relaxed made him relax too.

"C'mon, kiddo, let's sharpen our knives before the lads get here," Russell said to him, nodding to the kitchen.

Gillian hid a smile, seeing the way Cassidy observed them. That was his real reason to accept her invitation: he wanted to meet the rest of the team before any formal meeting, he wanted to see them all interacting. And that was why she had invited him. She liked that curiosity the man tried to hide. If he was good at observing, it would save them both a lot of talking.

The doorbell rang while they lay what they would need for the homemade pizzas Russell had planned for dinner. Connor went to the door and soon he was back with Aldana and Tanya. Both of them shot questioning looks at Gillian when they saw the stranger helping Russell. Cassidy noticed and hurried to stretch out his hand to them.

"Hi, I'm Roy," he said with a charming smile.

Aldana was about to shake his hand when Gillian completed the introduction, her voice oozing sarcasm.

"Girls, meet Russell's boss, Violent Crimes Section Chief Cassidy, with the FBI. Agent Cassidy, they are Aldana Miles, sex crimes, and Tanya Lawrence, tech analyst."

Cassidy scoffed, his hand still stretched out. "Busted," he admitted. Behind him, Russell and Connor traded a wink.

They shook his hand and turned to Gillian, who motioned for them to go to the living room. "If you'll excuse us, gents," she said to the other three.

"Coffee coming in five," replied Connor.

"You rock, son."

She followed Aldana and Tanya with one last quick smile at Cassidy. "Please, make yourself at home, this is gonna take a while."

The rest of the team arrived over the next thirty minutes, including Ron, and they all sat together in the living room to listen to Gillian. In the kitchen, Cassidy was named Sauce Section Chief and put to work, while Russell taught Connor to knead the dough.

Fred closed the door to the family room and stayed near it, as to make sure nobody would interrupt them. All of them were dying to know what the hell was Russell's boss doing there, and Gillian told them about his unexpected visit.

"So long story short, this is what he's willing to grant: we'd join the FBI as a unit and remain a unit, as a part of the permanent staff of the Boston field office, with Cooper as our direct senior. The jerk of her husband is above us, but Cassidy swears he's about to be sent to the West Coast within the next months—actually he's about to send him there, because the jerk answers to him now. So I don't see any problems about that, especially after working for a dinosaur like Cook." She waited for them to agree and went on. "We would do what Russ and Brockner do: take cases as they come, both in and out of town, and solve them."