9. bugs

Gillian looked down and saw two of the guards waving for the men and women to move

Gillian looked down and saw two of the guards waving for the men and women to move. Most of them dragged their feet toward the back storage, hushing their children with them. A dozen of them entered the back workshop. She scanned around and frowned.

"Where's the third thug?" she whispered on the radio.

"Heads up below, Reg," Fred warned.

"Son of a bitch!" grunted Ron.

Then she registered the hoarse panting below her. Russell got to her side and let out a muffled growl when they looked down together. The third guard was there, a girl pinned between him and the sidewall by the basins, smashed by the thug, face against the bricks. The man had one of his hands to the girl's throat, the other one kept her dress rolled up around her hips.

Gillian felt the rage burning her belly, watching the girl's silent tears while the man raped her. She commanded herself to look away, at the shed.

"Front curtain up," whispered Aldana then.

One of the guards locked the workshop and the one under the tree thrust faster, in a sudden hurry to be done. Gillian produced one of the tiny cameras Kurt had given her and bent down, her chest against the branch.

"Kurt?" she breathed.

The guard waiting to lock the storage shouted at his fellow under the tree, "Hey, Doug! Come already! Time to work!" The other one laughed at such a clever pun, heading to the gates on the back wall.

Gillian closed her eyes and swallowed hard at the thug's final grunts, followed by a suffocated cry from the girl. The sounds from the yard told her the thug was dragging the girl to the storage. She stretched her arm down along the trunk, on the shed's side.

"Two inches to your right, Reg," said Kurt.

"You're clear, Russ," said Ron.

Gillian corrected the position and stuck the camera to the trunk, then crawled back, making way for Russell. They traded a quick glance. Russell still tried to get a grip on himself to keep from jumping to the thug's neck. She pressed his arm when he sneaked by her to slide down the trunk to the yard.

"Now, T!" she whispered.

"Jammed," the girl replied right away. "You have five minutes."

"More than enough," grunted Russell, hidden between the tree and the wall.

The guards opened the gates, their backs turned to the tree. Russell waited two seconds and crouched to run across the yard and stick to the main building's sidewall.

Gillian planted the second camera on the tree trunk, this one looking to the backyard and the gates. Then she drew her gun and rested her hands on the branch. From her position, she could sweep most of the backyard if Russell was in any trouble.

"Incoming," reported Hank from the front of the building.

He and Aldana were hiding under a car, parked a few yards away from the garage access on the front of the workshop, where the metallic curtain was rolled up. A truck drove past them, slowing down, and maneuvered to reverse into the garage. As soon as the truck's cockpit disappeared into the access, they rolled out from under the car and ran to the wall.

In a flash they were by the open access. The driver had climbed down from the truck and talked to a man in a wealthy suit—the manager, for sure—only two steps away from the cockpit. There was no way to go near it without being seen.

"T, we need a distraction here," whispered Aldana on the radio.

Back at the field office, Cooper spun around with a questioning frown. Tanya ignored her. She typed as to pull sparks from her keyboard.

"Gonna mess with their energy. It's gonna be only thirty seconds, so get ready," she said.

Russell was at the corner of the building, his back stuck to the wall. Another truck reversed into the backyard, while one of the guards signaled at the driver to guide him.

"Ready," he breathed.

Hank produced the tracker and glanced at Aldana over his shoulder. She saw his hand stretched out to her and frowned, but gave him the spare camera she carried.

"Ready," whispered Hank.

Tanya counted down. "Lights out in five, four, three, two, now!"

The lights went off in the whole building and the men in the garage and out at the backyard shouted at each other, moving around. In those scarce thirty seconds, Hank and Russell moved as stealth shadows, reached the front bumpers of the trucks, stuck the trackers and retreated. On his way back, Hank also taped the camera to the narrow strip of wall by the access, on the inside of the garage.

"Pull back!" alerted Tanya. "Lights back in three, two, one..."

Cooper turned to the screen, holding her breath. One of the cameras showed Hank and Aldana running to the corner.

At the backyard, Gillian reached out to Russell, who grabbed her hand to climb up the tree. A moment later they jumped down to the sidewalk.

"Trackers and cameras on," said Kurt.

Cooper exhaled, issuing a peremptory order to her heart to beat at a regular rate again.