10. the negotiator

Gillian spotted the worn wedding band on the man's left hand

Gillian spotted the worn wedding band on the man's left hand. Long marriage, no doubt. He was a loyal husband at home and the boss at work. That was why he had already forgotten how to court. He was used to go straight to the point and get always what he wanted. No need to convince anyone, no wasting time in being overly nice.

"So you're interested in all of us, the seven agents in the team."

"Yes, ma'am." Cassidy noticed Gillian's twitch at the word and smiled. "Sorry, I don't know what to call you."

"Gillian is fine, Agent." I'm not Reg for you, big fed shot. And you're nothing but some random agent for me. At least for now. Want more? Earn it.

Before she could speak again, he said, "I'm aware of Bellison's situation, and that would be no problem. We always need good explosives experts, and I understand he's the best in town."

"He's the best in New England."

He flashed a little smile, acknowledging the correction. It was like a tennis match. With grenades instead of balls.

"What we really need to discuss here, Gillian, is your way into the Bureau." He patted the fat folder on the couch by his side. "I understand you all have long and prolific careers, so you guys won't be needing the regular drill any trainee would get. However, you do need instruction in our specific protocols and methods."

Meaning how to be a proper fed. "And you would have us attend Quantico's Academy for that, I assume."

"No, that won't be necessary. Coleman can work with you guys right here, before going back to DC."

"You're transferring him?" All of a sudden, the fed didn't seem so nice anymore.

"For a while. I want him to complete his training as a profiler, and he can only do it in Quantico. By the way, wouldn't you be interested in taking the courses with him? I understand you use profiling methods as your regular way to work."

Gillian shook her head. She didn't want to become a federal profiler. The last thing on earth she wanted was to be recruited by the BAU.

Cassidy shrugged. "Maybe later, then. Once you join the Bureau, you can do it whenever you feel like it."

Easy, tiger, you're taking things for granted all too soon.

"I know this is gonna sound stupid and childish, Agent, but I need to know your intentions about us. D'you mean to keep the unit together? Or once we sign in, we lose any word about destinations and posts?"

"I mean to keep the unit together and working here, in Boston, under Cooper's orders. As Federal Agents, you will have to travel out of town now and then, but always within the New England area."

Gillian just nodded. The man had answered right away and without hesitation. He really meant it—or he acted on a script based on what Brock had told him.

As if reading the name from her mind, Cassidy flashed one of his quick smiles.

"I'm sure you know I've been asking about you and your team, specifically to Coleman and Brockner," he said, inviting her to defend herself from whatever he might have heard.

She allowed herself an ironic smile, savoring in advance his reaction. "Coleman and I are best friends, so he'll always speak highly of me. Whatever Agent Brockner told you, that's the plain truth."

Cassidy raised his eyebrows. "Isn't that a bit of a strong statement? You trust Brockner so much?"

"This has nothing to do with trust, Agent Cassidy. I just happen to know what a hell of a profiler he is. If you feds hadn't banned him like you did, you'd know better than doubting any of his assessments."

To her surprise, he scoffed at her accusation. "You do respect him."

"You should, too," she replied coldly.

"Are you two lovers, Gillian?"

She gawked at him, unable to manage her reaction at such an aggressive question, then she felt the tingling in the back of her throat. A heartbeat later she was laughing out loud, covering her mouth with her hand, tears rolling down her cheeks.

Cassidy waited for her to calm down with his eyebrows a little arched, not quite knowing how to take her laughter.

Finally she breathed deep and suffocated one last giggle. She faced him with a warning smirk, a defiant spark shimmering in her eyes. Her voice was the silk sheath of a jagged blade.

"That's none of your damned fed business."

"As your boss-to-be, I need to know that kind of thing," he argued.

The jagged blade now dripped Irish poison. "You're not my boss-to-be." She smirked wider. "Unless you hear out my conditions and agree to them."

Cassidy's eyes sparkled as he smirked back. "I'm all ears."