14. message

Thank God it was a smooth summer night, else everybody would be stuffed in the family room

Thank God it was a smooth summer night, else everybody would be stuffed in the family room. But the breeze was nice and cool, and they laid a long board table at the backyard. Despite it was his welcome party, and that he was still a little sore, Russell was in charge of the grill. With Brock as his assistant.

That had been one big surprise for Gillian, seeing him behind Russell at her door. Her friend told her later that he'd almost had to threaten Brock to death to bring him. But Russell didn't feel it was right, leaving Brock out while they were all there, having a good time because he was back in town—especially because he was back thanks to Brock. And he didn't want to be the only one beaten up around.

Gillian handed Connor two six-packs from the fridge, took one more and a soda pack, and followed her son to the yard. She was happy everybody had made it. Ron was there with Laura, Fred had brought Anna, Tanya and Kurt had invited Brandon, Hank had brought his friend Brian. Even Banks and Carmen were there.

Brock stood by the grill like a soldier, while Russell and Hank discussed different ways to lay the embers. Gillian's eyes couldn't keep from darting his way. He wore jeans, tennis, a dark green polo. And maybe because she wasn't used to see him without his suits, or because of the beer in his hand, or whatever the reason, he looked relaxed and almost like having a good time like everybody else.

On her way back to the kitchen, she requested a volunteer to help with the salads. Banks snatched a beer from the table and went with her.

"You're gonna help me? Have you ever chopped a green?"

"Sure, when I was training to kill you."

As soon as they were alone in the kitchen, Banks produced his phone and showed it to her.

Gillian's smile vanished, and her face darkened in a scowl. "What's this, Bob?" she whispered.

"Taylor sent it a few minutes ago. They just received it at the precinct." Banks' funny mood was but a memory as well.

Gillian wiped her hands and took the phone, zooming in. It was the photograph of a paper with an underlined omega roughly painted in red.

"He kept it as evidence, to send it to the Lab first thing on Monday."

"This is it? No message, nothing?"

"Nope. Only the Libra symbol. And Taylor says the painting looks like blood."

"Shit."

"And there you are! Gossiping like old ladies! Our grill-man needs his special sauce. He says you know which one."

Gillian hung a smile on her face to turn to Hank.

"It's in the fridge. The one with the red thing around the lid."

While Hank fetched the small bottle, Gillian handed the phone back to Banks and traded an understanding look with him: they wouldn't tell anyone about it. At least not yet.

Brock had never intended to be there. He just didn't know how to refuse when Russell insisted. And he also thought he'd be making some sort of amends, after sulking so much about the punks when they were actually doing such a great job.

He read the utter surprise on Gillian's face at finding him at her doorstep. But she quickly disguised it with one of her warm smiles and invited them both in as if it were the most natural thing in the world. He was relieved when everybody greeted him and let him stay by the grill, not trying to drag him into their conversations.

When the time came to sit at the long table, Gillian had Russell take the head seat, and she sat with her son at his right. Aldana came to sit at Russell's left, by Brock, so he ended up exactly in front of Gillian. The team demanded a speech, and Brock shot a warning scowl up at Russell when he was about to mention him.

All in all it was a nice, entertaining evening, full of the usual teases and puns and laughter. However, Brock noticed there was something off about Gillian. She talked and participated and was the first to start the jokes. But as soon as they didn't pay attention to her, her smile faded and a hint of concern clouded her blue eyes.

After dinner, women cleared the table and brought fruit salad and ice cream. Russell ruled Hank and Fred were in charge of cleaning the grill and forgot about the world to talk to Aldana. Soon the techs and Connor were in the family room, plugged to some console game. Everybody else lingered at the backyard, chattering in small groups, enjoying the night.