№11

Unforgettable night

Everything that happened after that went in a blast. The both of us were calmer in general. He was nothing but nice to me. Nice in Carl's way,  meaning he wouldn't throw shade at me all the time. And for a long time I felt like  I could breathe again. Carl did exit my life, once for good. The following days were simply calm, peaceful. It didn't stop Carl from keeping his attitude with the teachers or kept me from using my smart mouth. Everyone was quickly used to both of us being ourselves again, but they were surprised that we ignored each other and that our fights quit.

Carl would sometimes critize what I'd wear but humor would be clear on his face. I'd critize his intelligence from time to time but it was so rare that we could hardly count that as us having a conversation. Ari was back, and our group was complete again. Steve never stopped trying to talk to me, but I was always with my friends, which made him back away very often.

My life was going well and it felt strange because when my life would feel like hell, all the little good moments felt like heaven. But right now, everything is just normal. Normal and great. I'm not saying that I want to go back to the days when I'd Carl's punching bag, but I wouldn't mind if something exciting happened. I had done all the pranks possible already, I didn't want a boy to play with.

But I was still cherishing this great but boring life.

One night, in the middle of it, my phone wakes me up, making a noise. It's from a blocked number,“meet me in front of your door.” I climb out of my bed and carefully go downstairs. I slowly open the front door and as I see who it is, I completely open it.

“Gallagher.” I breathe, eyeing him intensly. I look down to my phone, it's 3 a.m.

“Carpenter.” even if it's very dark, I'd never miss his usual smirk.

“It's three a.m, what brings you here ?” I question, doing my best to not get mad at him for interrupting my dream. As much as I want to sleep,  the idea of Carl knocking at my door in the middle of the night seems much more appealing.

“It's been a long time. And since you and I are so alike, I thought you'd probably like my plan, for tonight.” Plan ?

“So you think you can just come in the middle of the night, without any warning, and ask me to follow you ?”

“I did send you a text” he points out and I roll my eyes.

“Something's clearly wrong with you. Why me ? And how did you even get my address ?”

“C'mon, don't you think that the last minute plans are the best ? All of my friends are pussies, you're the only that I'd actually see doing this with me. Just join me, for the best night of your life.” he tempts me and my head is spinning. After spending weeks without talking, he wants to hang out ? What if it's a plan that'll get me arrested ? As much as I want to say ‘fuck it, let's do it’, the fact that it's Carl Gallagher makes everything less sure.

“Stop overthinking it, you have nothing to lose.”

“How do I know you're not trying to bring me out there to kill me ?”

“Hm..” my eyes are adjusting to the dark, “Well, if it was the case, I wouldn't tell you. You'll have to come along to find out” he smirks.

I chuckle, shaking my head, as he laughs along with me.

“Chloe, the offer expires in 30 seconds, don't make me regret coming here, it was one hell of a walk.”

I want to laugh again but I stay still. This is probably the worse idea ever but then again, the worst ideas are the best, aren't they?