№13

Completely alike

I can't tell if it's the fact that the beautiful girl looks genuinely happy or that Carl doesn't mind her kissing him but I want to throw up. But Steve's still talking to me and, in a way, I don't really care. I just need to understand why Carl would do that.

I mean, I do know that Carl and I aren't exclusive but we did something yesterday and spent a whole night together, having fun. I know he spent whole nights with other girls, but am I not, somehow, special ? I mean, he told me I made him forget about Nicole, his ex.

You're making him temporarily forget about a girl he's completely in love with, so no, Chloe, you're anything but special’, tells me my mind.

Maybe Lea does make him forget about her too. I realize how stupid I sound, trying to make myself believe that I might be important to Carl. I mean, we're so alike. Lea and hell, even Nicole aren't like him. But he loves her and I can't do anything about it.

“Chloe ? Are you listening to me ?” he follows my gaze and I quickly look back at him. But he knows I was looking behind him and before he can turn around I speak up,“Yeah, yes. Sorry, I was just..”

He nods but looks hastily behind him and frowns,“Uh...”

I don't know what to say and he doesn't either,“Carl ? You were looking at Carl? You must be kidding me.”

“What ?” I snap,“looking at someone doesn't mean anything.” I defend myself.

“Chloe, your face is red of jealousy..” he looks back between Carl and I,“Did you already forget all the things he did to you? He's the one that wanted me to do this bet!”

“Will you calm down ? I hate him and what does it even have to do with you ? And even if I wanted to like him I would. Oh and noone forced you to do that stupid bet” I reply harshly and his face falls.

“What it has to do with me ? I'm literally doing a love declaration, Chloe” his eyes look sad,“ I'm truly sorry, Chloe, you don't even realize how much I regret hurting you but without that bet I would have never met you. I keep pushing my pride aside, i'm not the Steve Harold I was before I met you and it doesn't matter. I like who I am with you. Please, I...if you can forgive Carl why can't you forgive me ?”

I'm starting to feel bad for him because what he says is true. Here he is, telling me the words I wish Gallagher would ever tell me but why is Carl the only one to me ? I feel for Steve because I feel like I'm him and Carl is me, in this situation. But Carl loves Lea while I love him,“What tells you I forgave him ?”

“I see you two talking from time to time. And the insults between the two of you stopped...I didn't think you..you liked him. You used to look at me the way you look at him now” his voice breaks and I want to take him in my arms. He's completely right and I hate myself for being so fucked up. Steve does love me and Carl is far from being what I need. I wanted to be good for Steve.

“Steve” I sigh and take him in my arms, feeling his familiar arms enlacing around me. I take in his scent and all the memories of him and I come back. The bell rings and I hear him sigh as we pull apart,“I still need time and I don't feel anything for Carl even if it looks like it. We're just friends but I would never date him.” I lie, looking away.

“Yeah, of course. I'll give you as much time as you need.”

“But I'd love starting by being your friend again” I tell him, and see him panick as he sees that the corridor is completely empty.

“That'd be great, thank you so much !” he rushes to give me a peck on the cheek, “bye !” he screams running towards his class. It's cute to see that there still are people out there that care about getting late to class. I walk towards my class, rolling my eyes at the thought of the long day that's ahead of me.