№14

It's complicated

I wonder if my mood is contagious because everything seems to lack color and life. Everything and anyone but Arizona. I'd do anything to have her invisible shield, that's protecting her from bad vibes and constant sadness.

"You should have worn uggs" Arizona tells me and I frown.

"It's super warm out ?" I reply, whispering, since the teachers talking.

"Ask me why I'm telling you this !" she demands, excitedly.

I slowly shake my head but her enthusiasm pushes me to listen to her demand, "Why ?"

"Because you're UGG-ly" she smiles brightly and starts laughing for thirty seconds.

"You do know that your job is to make me feel better and not worse, right ?" I question, staring at her beautiful acne-free face. She's wearing burgundy-coloured lipstick and eyeliner that makes her ebony lashes stand out. I can't believe this melanin goddess is single. Her hair is divided in two puffs and she's wearing an matching dark blue adidas ensemble.

"Do you know why you're always so miserable ? Because of Carl. It's always him. One day he's nice to you and the other he's an asshole. Who does he think he is ? Leonardo DiCaprio? Hardin in After? I think you shouldn't give him any type of attention until he finally pushes his pride aside and confesses that he likes you." she sasses and I blink and let my pen fall out of my hand. I focus on a fly, on the window, that's doing it's best to go outside. I should help it.

"Chloé ?" questions Ari and I snap back to reality and my brain finally assimilates her words but I don't know what to say. It's a lot to take. I feel like Dorian Gray that just learned about Hedonism, because of Lord Henry. My reaction is the same as his, he lets the lilas in his hand fall down as he reports his attention to a bee that's flying around. That's how the human deals with important information, we get ourselves distracted by little things while our brain takes in the piece of information.

"What did you just say ?"

"I said that Carl is a pussy" she rephrases, smirking.

"No, well yeah but you said he liked me. This is completely false. That's impossible." I cough, way too loudly, making the teacher stop his lesson. Mr Fraud is probably the meanest-looking person I've ever seen. Even when he's laughing, it looks like he's secretly dreaming of cutting us into little pieces and serving us to his wicked children for lunch. His wrinkles, his low cheeks, green eyes and his smile that's always turned upside down...it all screams murderer.

"Do you mind sharing what you're saying to you're classmate with the rest of us ?" asks Mr Fraud adjusting his black shirt.

"Sorry" replies Arizona making the teacher sigh. At this very moment, a knock is heard. It's probably Carl. It's been 45 minutes he's gone and he told the teacher that he was just going to the bathroom. I don't know if I can handle seeing him again. I could feel his gaze on me at the beginning of the class and he tried to talk to me this morning but I didn't let him. It has to stop. My heartbeat fastens as I see Carl's gorgeous girlfriend stepping in, she looks worried.

"I'm sorry for disturbing Mr Fraud, I have to take Carl's bag, he has to go home. " Lea timidly speaks up. Why is she so damned adorable ?

"And why is that ? Carl found another way to miss my class ? Let him know that spending 45 minutes in the bathroom cost him a detention. " growls Mr Fraud.

"No, I....he..he got into a fight. His arms hurt terribly, one is broken and he can barely use them. The nurse wants him to go home."

I glance at Arizona and she looks as worried as me. What the hell happened ? People start whispering in the classroom while the teacher asks them to calm down. Lea walks towards Carl's seat and shoves his stuff in his bag. We can see that she's mad worried, she does love him. I can't believe he's hurt.