an introduction

I was always the last one out of the arena. At every game, win or lose, I sat in my seat until I was told I had to leave. There was something about listening to the cheers and chants during the game, the overbearing jumping and dancing when something good happened, turning into confetti slowly falling from the sky, scattered people leaving their seats to beat the traffic and the quiet talking and conversations that tapered off as more and more people walked out.

All the games were the same, after doing this for a few years, the security guards and ushers started to remember me. Some would let me stay until they shut the lights off, and some would ask me to leave after five minutes. Depended on the day and depended on the score.

I had never played basketball myself, but there was something about the Los Angeles Clippers that got me stuck on basketball when I was 12. The environment of the Staples Center and just the vibe from the people was great. My parents have had season tickets for as long as I can remember, but as they got older the tickets went unused for a couple years. They didn't want to go together, but didn't want to go without each other, so I decided to go by myself and I've been doing just that since I turned 14. I'm 23 now and a senior in college.

I didn't mind going to games by myself, it was weirdly relaxing. Not having to worry about holding a conversation with another person or trying to explain everything to them and missing parts of the game. Plus, I could eat as much as I wanted and no one was there to judge. I had never picked out a favorite player like most people do, I just rooted for the team as a whole. I never thought that would changed until I went to the home opener in 2010. Players on the team come and go, but this one guy caught my attention. Blake Griffin. He was a rookie in 2010, 21 years old and little 15 year old me didn't know how to handle myself. It's been 6 years since I first was introduced to this amazing man and my favoritism hasn't wavered. I know it sounds silly, but a small part of me has always hoped I'd catch his attention and something between us would happen. I know he has a kid and has dated plenty of women, but I never gave up and I might be crazy, but I don't plan to give up.