the question

Blakes POV-

I walked towards the bus that would be taking us back to the hotel with a smile on my face. We beat the Hornets by 5 and it made me happy.

It was the day after I had my big "talk" with the guys. I had decided to wait to call Emma's parents until after our game. I didn't want anything to throw me off.

I wanted to call them as soon as we got back to the hotel. It was late here but the 3 hour time difference meant they should still be awake back in LA.

I went back and forth about having the guys with me when I called and decided against it. This was something I needed to do on my own, but I would gladly tell them all about it afterwards. I was so nervous it was going to go badly.

.....

I made myself comfortable in the hotel bed, checking my texts from Emma.

iMessage

Emma: good luck tonight baby :)

Emma: you look so good in your uniform, dAMN

Emma: I LOVE IT WEHN YOU DUNK YAS

Emma: I wish I was there :(

Emma: Good job, baby. You guys did so good!!

Emma: i'm just laying here watching netflix now, i love you. text me when you can

A smile crept onto my face while I read through each message. She was so freaking cute.

Blake: i love you too babygirl

Blake: i love you too babygirl. i miss you so much.

I sat there for a second, procrastinating more. I looked through my phone for Emma's dad's number. I had saved it in my phone after the car accident.

I hesitated but finally hit the "call" button, my heart started to beat faster with each ring.

After a few more rings Emma's mom picked up.

"Hello? Who is this?" She asked, she sounded nervous. They must not have saved my number.

"Sarah? Hi. This is Blake." I asked, my voice a little shaky. "I was wondering if I could talk to you and Todd for a minute?"

"Oh. Of course sweetheart. Just a second and I'll put you on speaker." I could hear her moving around. "We just finished watching the game. You guys looked good tonight. Keep it up!"

I chuckled a bit, "That's the plan!"

"Okay. You're on speaker now."

"What's going on, Blake?" I heard her dad say and my heart started to beat fast again.

"Oh not too much." I took a deep breathe, "I just wanted to run something by you guys real quick."

"Go for it." Her mom replied.

"Well. I know Emma and I haven't been together for the longest time, but we've been through alot together and we really love each other. I want to propose to her, but I wanted to ask for both of your blessing before I ask her."

The line was quiet but I could feel the tension between all of us.

"Well, sweetie. I'm definitely okay with it. I know you two really love each other and I wouldn't say okay if I didn't think Emma wouldn't say yes." Her mom said, sounding happier than she did a minute ago.

I waited for her dad to reply but the line stayed quiet. All I could hear was inaudible whispers between them.

"Blake, listen. You're a good guy and I know you treat Emma well. Didn't you two just have an issue not too long ago? You seemed distant after her car accident. I do wish you two the best but I just don't think I'm okay with her marrying you right now. You've been through too much. Your relationship hasn't been constant for too long now." He sighed, and I felt my heart drop. "I want to say yes, marry her. But I just can't right now. I'm sorry."

I took a second to think of how to respond.

"It's okay, sir. I understand. I hope in the near future I can do something to change your mind. I want to spend my life with Emma. She cares more about me and my son than anyone I've ever been with. She makes my days brighter just by waking up next to her. She's the biggest goof and always puts a smile on my face. Your daughter isn't perfect, but she's damn close and I love all of her flaws. If you reconsider, please don't hesitate to call me." I said, my voice slightly cracking.

"Of course. You're a good guy. Just give it a little more time." He said.

"Goodnight, Blake. I hope to see you soon." Her mom said before hanging up the phone.

I set my phone in my lap and let my heart sink. I knew her dad didn't like me at first but I thought we were passed that. We had a great time in Washington with the rest of her family. Everybody loved me. I know Emma never told them exactly what happened before the car accident, so that couldn't have played a part. Her dad was so protective over her, yet they were so distant with her. It didn't make any sense to me, but I needed to change their minds, without Emma finding out about any of this.

I picked up my phone and FaceTime'd Emma.

She picked up and I noticed she was laying in bed, in one of my tshirts. Her hair in a messy ponytail and popcorn in her hand.

"Hi, baby." She smiled at me.

"Hey. I've missed your face so much. I wish you were here. I could use a hug."

"Why're you sad? You guys won? Did something happen after the game?"

"No. No. I'm just lonely. The guys went out but i didn't feel like it. We have an early flight to Utah in the morning and I didn't want to be hungover for it."

"I wish I was with you too. Watching The Office isn't the same without your laugh."

I sighed. I loved laying in bed with her, eating pizza and watching Netflix.

"Babe? Can we stay on FaceTime while we sleep? I like waking up in the middle of the night and seeing you there."

"Of course we can. Are you going to head to bed? I know it's like midnight there."

"I think so. I'm pretty worn out."

"I wish I was there to wear you out." She smiled and winked at me a few times.

I laughed at her and winked back saying, "me too." I set my phone up on the nightstand so that she could see me and I could still roll over and see her.

"Goodnight, Emma. I love you so much."

"Goodnight, Blake. I love you too."