i'd like that

About an hour had gone by of me laying in bed crying. I hadn't really had a chance to let my feelings out and it was honestly good that I was.

I got up to change my clothes and do my nightly routine. I put on a pair of pajama shorts and one of Blake's t-shirts that I had stolen a while ago. I cleaned my face, brushed my teeth and headed back to bed.

I turned Netflix on on the tv, I always slept better with noise when I was alone.

Before plugging my phone in and trying to doze off I noticed I had a text from Blake from a little while ago.

iMessage

11:42 pm

Blake: i'm home!

He sent me a text like I had asked, but along with the text he sent a selfie of him laying in bed with a cute, big smile on his face

He sent me a text like I had asked, but along with the text he sent a selfie of him laying in bed with a cute, big smile on his face. I almost started crying all over again.

Emma: thanks for letting me know, goodnight.

Blake: goodnight baby.

I clicked my phone off, plugged it in and tried to doze off.

I laid in bed tossing and turning for what felt like hours. I gave up on the idea that I was going to sleep (thankfully my classes tomorrow were in the afternoon) and just laid there watching movies on Netflix. I finally dozed off sometime after 2 a.m.

...

This same routine went on for the next week.

I woke up, went to whatever classes I had that day, came home and tried to fall asleep before 2 in the morning. The Clippers had 3 away games so I didn't have to worry about going to any games and Blake was busy and didn't really text me. Occasionally he'd send me a "goodmorning" or "are you okay?" text, I always replied, but it wasn't like it used to be.

I had one of my later classes, it got over around 4 p.m. and from my lack of sleep by the time I got home and ordered and ate dinner I was already in bed. I had turned The Office on Netflix because I wanted to laugh. To my surprise I dozed off somewhere around 8.

I slept for a while but woke up when I heard something outside in the parking lot. I thought a couple was fighting but I wasn't sure, I just heard a lot of yelling and screaming, which was unusual for where I lived. Since I hated being alone my parents made sure I found an apartment complex in a good neighborhood.

I got out of bed and walked over to my bedroom window to see if I could see what was going on.

I peeked through the blinds and immediately got scared. There was a group of 3 men, beating up a girl. She didn't look much older than me. They were laughing and she was on the ground screaming.

I ran back over to my bed and picked up my phone, I was scared to call 911 and without even thinking the first person I called was Blake.

"Hey, it's late. What's going on?" He asked. I could tell I had just woken him up.

"Blake.. There's people outside my apartment.. I'm scared.. What do I do." I was hyperventilating and on the verge of crying, I had never been in a situation like this before.

"Slow down, what's happening? Are you safe?"

"I'm fine. In the parking lot, there's some guys beating up this girl. I'm scared and don't know what they're doing here and I'm alone. I'm just scared, Blake."

"I know, baby. You'll be okay, I promise. Did you call the police?"

"No I was scared that if I called them they'd want to come talk to me and the guys would know who I am, I don't know, you know how my mind works when I'm scared."

"That's okay baby, I'm going to hang up for just a minute, I'll call the police, and then I'll call you right back okay?"

"Just hurry, please." I said back with tears in my eyes, not wanting to be alone right now.

He hung up the phone and I walked back over towards the window. I was honestly scared to even look outside, in case someone could see me peeking out. I built up the courage and looked through, they were all still there. The girls screaming had stopped but she was still laying on the ground, the men just standing around her talking.

My phone started to ring, making me jump and run to shut the sound off, because I thought someone would hear it.

"Blake?"

"I called them, they're sending someone now, they said they wouldn't talk to you until the men were gone, if they even needed to right now."

"Thank you, Blake. It means a lot that you did that for me."

"I'm always here for you babe. Are you going to be able to sleep?"

"I don't know. I'm sorry I woke you, I know it's like 3 a.m. in Chicago."

"No, no, don't be sorry. I want to be the person you call. Do you want to sleep on the phone with me? Or I can facetime you and we can leave the call on while we sleep, if you want?" He asked in his cute, sleepy voice.

"Yeah. I'd actually like that."

He called me back on facetime and I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice to see his face again. He had a way with making me feel safe. We both said goodnight and he blew me a kiss. He set his phone up on his nightstand so I'd be able to see him and talk to him if I got scared and I did the same.

I laid there in bed, beating myself up, for a little while I had forgot about everything that happened between us. I was glad that Blake was there for me, I don't know who else I would have called, but at the same time, I was still hurt and upset with him.

I finally dozed off again, thinking that I just wanted to get my heart and my mind on the same page.