goodbyes and plane rides

(hi guys. theres a pretty big time jump in this chapter, like i've said, i'm trying to catch the story up to real present time, so bear with me. enjoy!)

the last chapter was christmas, this picks up Feb. 12.

-----

Blakes POV-

I walked out of the bathroom around 6 a.m., getting ready to grab my bags and tell Emma goodbye before leaving for Charlotte. She was sprawled out across the bed, wearing her oversized "Oklahoma" shirt she was so excited to buy at the airport before we returned home from Christmas. I noticed the necklace I had got her as a present around her neck, a gold chain with my initials "BG" in tiny gold letters. She loved it so much, she honestly never took it off.

I bent over the bed, kissing her forehead, she moved and slightly opened her eyes.

"Are you leaving?" She asked, over exaggerating a pouty lip.

"Unfortunately, babe." I replied, stroking the side of her face with my thumb.

She reached her arms up for a hug, I bent down, connecting with her, realizing how sad I actually was to be leaving her, even if it was only for 4 days. I hated having 2 away games in a row.

I walked towards the door frame and heard her say goodbye.

"Bye, Blake. I'm gonna miss you, I love you." She blew me a kiss.

I laughed at her and said I love you too and headed for the door.

.....

I met up with DJ at the airport and we started talking.

"Hey man, thanks for helping Emma pick out my Christmas gift. I don't think I ever thanked you for that."

"Of course. I'm just glad you liked it. She had us shopping for hours, trying to find the perfect Jordans for you." DJ chuckled.

"It's so crazy she even remembered I had wanted a new pair. I told her that on our first 'date' at the observatory."

"Girls are good with presents, bro."

We both laughed as Doc called us all over to board the jet.

.....

I sat in a window seat, next to DJ, and Chris in front of us with JJ. I wanted to talk to them all about something and figured I'd do it now while we were all together.

I tapped DJ on the shoulder, he took his headphones off, "what's up, man?"

"Just a second." I replied, tapping Chris and JJ on the head, motioning for them to turn around.

"What's up?" JJ and Chris both said.

"I need your guys' help with something." They could tell I was nervous so they didn't say anything, "I want to propose to Emma. But, I think it might be too soon, we've gone through a lot lately and I don't know if she'd be ready, but I want to marry her."

The guys were all shocked and didn't say anything for a few seconds, they went back and forth between looking at me and looking at each other, when Chris finally spoke up.

"Blake, if you think you're ready for it, all you can do is try. We've all seen how you two act together and Emma makes it so clear that she loves you. I don't see why she wouldn't say yes."

"Even if she didn't say yes, man, it's not the end of the world. If anything, she's just not ready, but I know she'll want to marry you." JJ followed, I wasn't sure if his advice helped or not.

"I'm the odd one out, I don't have a wife and I haven't been close to having one and you know that. But, I think I've seen you with her the most and I agree with what Chris said. She loves you bro, it's so obvious she wants a future with you."

I smiled and slightly nodded my head.

"Have you talked to your parents yet? Or hers?" JJ asked.

Oh shit.

The thought was so out of the blue for me I completely forgot to even call Emma's parents. She's so distant with them, the thought didn't even cross my mind.

"I talked to my mom and dad when we were home for Christmas. I had a few minutes while Emma was off with Ford. They loved her so much, they asked why I hadn't married her yet."

We all laughed a little.

"I haven't talked to her parents yet, she never talks to them anymore. They never reach out to her either and I know how much it hurts her. I, of course, want to get her dad's blessing, but I just don't know if they'll approve. They've seen us together one time, they haven't seen us like anybody else has."

"I'm not even married and I know you should talk to them before you pop the question." DJ said, "it can't be that bad, man. You went to Washington with them right? You said they liked you. I don't know why their opinion would change if that's all they have to go off of."

"How soon did you want to propose? You can call them when we land, after practice. We'll all be here for you, man." Chris said.

"I don't know yet. I want to do something big for her. She says she doesn't like big gestures, but I know she just says that, the smile on her face when I do big things for her, shows me they make her happy. I've been thinking about proposing since before Christmas, but I just want it to be the right time. It's all I've been thinking about lately."

"So that's why your game's been off." DJ mumbled, jokingly.

I hit his shoulder and we all laughed again.

"Whatever you decide, we're here for you, Blake." JJ said, before him and Chris turned back around.

"You got this man. You can call her parents tonight and then we'll all help you start planning it."

"Thanks, DJ."

He put his headphones back on and I just looked out the window. My mind started going crazy, trying to think of the perfect way to propose to her.

I wasn't sure about a lot of things in my life, but I was so sure about Emma.