7. Misery

It was Thursday afternoon when Stiles had returned. The front door squeaked open and Lydia looks up from the book in her lap from where she sat at the top of the stairs. Stiles notices her immediately, giving her a smile as Mr.Stilinski appears. He huffs a breath of relief before pulling his son into a grateful hug. The way they did everything, how they talked and the expressions on their faces, she would've thought it was a normal occurrence.

"You okay?" The sheriff asks.
Stiles nods with a sigh. "Yeah. Allison made me feel guilty as hell but I'm good. I think I'll just..." The boy trails off, pointing upstairs and his father gives him an understanding look and a pat on the back. Suddenly the tension from a few days ago melted away as Stiles gradually made his way up the creaky old stairs. He paused two steps away from Lydia, smiling at her again before passing by her to get to his room.

Lydia's eyes trail after him, lingering on his door even after it's closed. Biting the inside of her lip as she closes her book and returns to her own room, glancing down at the bandage around her hand he had put there days before. The same day he had left his hoodie in front of her door before he left. Lydia grabs the maroon sweatshirt from her desk and takes the note he'd written her out of the pocket in the front, unfolding and reading it for the nth time.

Lydia, really none of this is your fault. I just have an EXTREMELY hard time dealing with past problems and I guess that's something I need to work on. Keep the hoodie. -Stiles

It was a sweet gesture and she appreciated it because not only did he give her the hoodie, but he welcomed her into his home and into his space.

Stiles had waited until her door clicked closed to open his, peeking out to make sure she was gone before emerging completely. He needed to do this, he kept telling himself. So he did. Quietly as possible, Stiles ventured across the hall to the forbidden room. The doorknob was covered in dust that coated his finger tips as he turned it and cautiously entered.

The door was immediately closed after him as he peered around. The walls were lined with bookshelves filled from top to bottom with books thin and thick and tall and short and every single one of the spines a different color. He had counted them once when he was little, the number long forgotten. There were a few cardboard boxes and a turquoise armchair in the corner where he took a seat. He looked at his surroundings, the familiarity long forgotten as he took his time trying to soak in the memories. The air was stale with her perfume and it clung to his nose and throat and entered his body with every breath he took and he knew when he managed to leave the scent would stick to his clothes.

The some of the boxes were filled with her clothes, the ones his father hadn't had the heart to throw out. Other boxes contained small knick knacks she enjoyed, like a small clay elephant she was given after Stiles' birth. His eyes pinched at the thought and he knew if he opened just one box he would break more than he already was. And he was to afraid to say it.

But he missed his mother.

With a deep and shaky breath, he stood and made his way to one of the book shelves, scanning titles. If it was a series, she owned every book and if it was Stephen King, she definitely owned it. Stiles grabbed a thick book out of its place and tucked it under his arm, hurriedly leaving the room so as not to sadden himself even more. The door closed rather loudly and he cringes at the sound.

"Stiles?" Mr.Stilinski calls from downstairs. "You okay?"
"Yeah! I'm fine!" His voice breaks and he prays that the man didn't notice. Sighing, Stiles knocks on Lydia's door and surprisingly, the girl answers.
"Uh..." He hadn't really expected her to open. In fact, he just planned to leave the book outside her door just like he had with the hoodie. But instead, he shoved the novel in her arms making her jump back slightly. "Misery. It's by Stephen King. Have you read it?" He asks to which she shakes her head no. He still held out the book for her to take.

"Oh. Well I'd explain it but it's tacenda." Lydia looks from the book to him. "Tacenda, it means–"
"I know what it means." She informs him, finally taking the novel with nimble fingers. Stiles raises his brows. Someone he didn't need to explain his vocabulary to? The girl was full of surprises.
"Thank you." She gives him a half smile before slowly closing the door as he leaves. Lydia immediately opens the cover to the book, peering at the name scribbled in the front that she somehow knew would be there. Claudia Stilinski. It was just as Lydia had done to all the books Mr.Stilinski had given her, written her name in the front.

But Stiles had given her one of his mother's books? She didn't know what to think of it. So she simply began reading. Tacenda: things better left unsaid.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:
*HURLS FEELS AT YOUR FACE*
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe