18. Lagom

It took about an hour for a full interview.

Another fifteen minutes for Lydia to finally give up the identities.

But the glare she threw Stiles would last an eternity.

He'd waited impatiently outside of the interrogation room, nothing to pass the time except count how many officers strolled in and out of the room. When she emerged, he stood and followed after her despite the dirty looks she gave. She stormed past the front desk with the boy trailing behind as she stomped out to his jeep.

"Why did you tell him? Hm? Why did you tell your dad?" She asks, arms crossed over her chest defiantly. Stiles' mouth opens and closes as he searches for the proper response.
"I just wanted to help." He answers weakly.
"Help?" Her voice grew angrier. "You could've helped by keeping quiet! Everything was in the past and now it's all over the place again!" She tugs at her hair while stumbling backwards. With a deep breath she falls to the ground, back completely flat against the concrete with her hands pressed to her eyes.

The world was shit.

"I'm sorry." ...he wasn't and they both knew that. His eyes linger over her limp body and he clears his throat, sitting criss cross next to her.
"Lydia," Stiles barely heard one of the deputies walk up behind them. "ready to go?" The man questions.
Stiles stands immediately, glancing between the girl and the man in front of him who was barely even a man. The name tag read Jordan Parrish.

"Go? Go where?" Stiles asks. Lydia sits up with a cough and a sniffle, her voice wavering.
"Oh they didn't tell you?" She asks with sarcasm.
"A rehabilitation center for young women." Parrish answers. Stiles takes a step back, slightly shielding Lydia. His expression grew stern and triumphant.

"No. N-no you can't take her she doesn't react well i-in–"
"Stiles I'm not going to argue with you." Parrish crosses his arms. The boy raises his brows. Sure Parrish was older but he could still easily be Stiles' brother.
"And I'm not going to argue with you. I said she can't–" a small hand on his arm stops his rant. Lydia was willing to go, willing to leave him behind and that wasn't exactly an appealing thought.

She looked to him with fragile eyes, her face a mixture of anger and sorrow. The girl didn't say a word as she walked towards he squad car leaving him with nothing but a cough and a glance over the shoulder.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"She'll be back in a day or two." Mr.Stilinski ensures. Stiles shifted his chin on the table show his disagreement, stabbing a carrot on his plate with his fork.

He'd barely touched his dinner.

He was angry at himself but simultaneously he knew there was no reason to actually be angry because he had done the right thing. The house felt too empty though and he wondered how he had survived with it being just him and his father in the first place. Mumbling something about going upstairs, Stiles takes care of his uneaten food and wanders to his room.

After about an hour, there's a knock on his door and Allison comes in a moment after.
"Hey." She calls and he glances at her before returning his eyes to the ceiling. With a sigh Allison circles the bed before crawling on next to him, her head resting on his shoulder. She stares at the ceiling, struggling to see what he saw.

"She's coming back Monday." Allison informs him. "They just needed to keep her in case they caught whoever...ya know?"
The nod was subtle but there. With a sigh, Allison takes Stiles' hand and starts to mess his fingers in an attempt to distract him. And it worked for a little bit but it didn't last forever.

"I just worry about her." He mumbles, taking a deep breath while closing his eyes.
"You like her?" Allison questions. And all he could do was give a faint "yeah".
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Saturday was slow.

So goddamn slow Stiles was considering stabbing himself in the stomach.
"Write a poem." Scott chuckles, lifting the weight off of the rack with Stiles as his spotter. He rolls his eyes. Maybe he was being a little over dramatic but he was almost positive Lydia hated him for what he had done. But surely she understood why he did it, right? Of course!

And he did miss her. Truly and honestly he did miss her.
"How's it going with Allison?" Stiles asks to get his mind of off the girl.
"Eh we're fine."
"Fine?"
Scott shrugs.
"Fine is the response a girl gives to a guy when she wants him to shut up or when she doesn't get her way.... 'Does a ratty sports bar sound good for dinner tonight babe?'" Stiles makes his voice go lower for the guy and higher for the girl. "'Yeah. That's fine." Scott lets the weight rest back on the rack, sitting up with his chest on fire and sweat beading his forehead.

"Yeah but one; we're not dating and two; I'm not a girl either." Scott laughs. "But we're okay...half friends half dating so I really don't know where the border lies."
Stiles seems to understand, following Scott around the gym to his next weight station. "Like, lagom?"
"You act like I know what that means."

"The perfect balance, it's Swedish." Stiles whacks him upside the head. "Go read a freaking book every now and then, goddammit I thought I raised you better!"
Scott laughs. "You sound like my mom."
"For all you know I could be your mom." Stiles gives a wink sending them both into chuckles. It's been a while since they had done just this, hanging out and laughing at jokes that weren't really funny. Cause they were brothers and they needed moments like this to themselves.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Filler chapter AF and I have Drake Bell stuck in my head. Why? I don't really know but pray for my brain.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe