23. Mellifluous

But she did force him to go to school the next day.

And every shitty hour of every shitty class, he was dying to know if she was okay. Of course she would be. Why wouldn't she be? Wouldn't she be? As he entered the hospital with a bag full of textbooks and an arm carrying equations that were basically a different language, he felt something similar to relief. Melissa had smiled to him behind the counter and he could see Lydia's open doorway down the hall. She was okay.

Lydia was criss-cross at the end of her bed, a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She lit up with his favorite smile as he entered.
"Hey! Ohmygosh is that all math homework? Set it on the bed, we'll start right now 'cause it'll take a while." She spoke quickly while he did as instructed. Her voice was mellifluous to him; a sound that is sweet and smooth and pleasing to hear.

He wanted to kiss her, to thank her for sounding like a dream. He didn't. And he didn't know why. Lydia wasn't lying when she wanted to get started at once, throwing open a textbook while glancing at the first worksheet. He chuckles because she had pretty little emerald eyes that fluttered over the page, causing her eyelashes to brush her brow bone before kissing as she blinked. Her voice broke out again, rapidly spitting out numbers and radicals and theorems he surely wouldn't understand. But she tried the best she could to help him.

After the sun was completely gone from the sky outside of her window, they finally gave up and lay side by side to watch whatever type of Japanese game show was on the tv. And she truly seemed better. Still, there was the occasional cough and once it wouldn't stop for a while but better all the same. Stiles didn't want to go home but Lydia again forced him to. She laughed profanities and commands of how education was important and required if you wanted to do something with your life. So he argued back examples of famous people who barely knew what two plus three was who created great works of art or wrote classic novels without finishing high school.

In the end she won of course but it wasn't another hour or so until he left. She was lying on her back, looking down at the boy with freckled cheeks and he was laying on his stomach, eyes closed to enjoy the feel of her hand twirling around his hair. With a sigh Stiles' lips curled slightly, grabbing onto her other hand. He messed with the the positioning of their fingers, his thumb tracing over her knuckles or Palm? Her hand in his or his in hers? Either way they were joined and he loved the feel of when their skin met.

Just as he had begun to fall asleep, her voice kept him awake: "you should probably go now." She was tired, a yawn following her statement and Stiles assumed they'd given her medication already.
"I promised I wouldn't leave." Sleep crept into his voice and he moved to slightly comfier position.
"You aren't. You'll be back tomorrow plus I'm not going to stop dogging you until you do and–" Stiles cuts her off with a groan and a hasty agreement. Taking the hand that was still wrapped around his own, he rests his lips on her soft skin and she shifts closer to him.

"I want that on my lips." She laughs causing him to chuckle too before giving her the kiss she wanted.

Only after that did he leave.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"So are you guys dating yet?" That was the on going question of Tuesday. Allison was the first to ask, standing by the girls locker as Stiles had a barely noticeable smile on his face.

"What's on your face?" She asks.
"Happiness."
"Because of Lydia?"
His smile grew and at that point Allison didn't need an answer. "Have you....kissed her yet?" She eases in, trying to avoid eye contact so he didn't go off on her. Instead, a a single laugh leaves his lips and he turns to look at her with daydream glossing over his eyes. He nods a little and Allison has to bite her tongue. The last time she'd heard he was in a relationship (Scott had told her and neither counted Malia seeing as that lasted for like, what? A minute?) was freshman year. Scott had explained how the boy had been heartbroken upon seeing Erica and Boyd holding hands in the hall. After that Malia had moved in and he'd had a crush on her until they very briefly "dated".

"Wow." His smile was contagious, spreading to her own face. She closes her locker and leans against it with one shoulder to look at him as he closed his own eyes, gripping the straps on his backpack while allowing his head to fall back against the wall. "You kissed her." Allison beams.
He chuckles. "Mhmm." The hum was slightly sing-songy.
"And you liked it." It was a statement rather a question.
"Hell yeah." He mumbles, eyes still closed as he tried to remember what Lydia's touch felt like.

"More than once?"
"Definitely."
"So are you guys dating yet?"
Stiles snapped his eyes open and turned to his best friend. Dating? "What?" He asks. Allison had struck a nerve, the boy no longer dreaming but now fully awake. But he was still relaxed, he'd just never thought of it like that before. Dating? I guess...but not really.
"Yeah I mean..?" Allison trails off and Stiles shakes his head, looking forward again.
"I don't even know at this point."
"But I guess you love each other, right? I mean, you have to?"

Stiles adjusts his bag. "There's a difference between loving someone and being in love." He shrugs. Even his voice sounded unsure and Allison roles her eyes. "care to explain the difference?"
"Not really, no." He shakes his head. Before Allison can get the final word, the first bell rings and he was off. Avoiding shit like that was definitely a talent. But he couldn't avoid it for long.

"When are you gonna ask her out?" Scott pressures almost as soon as Stiles had sat down in his first class of the day. He groans. It was an on going question.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

MY SKIN IS BURNT AND LIKE A TOMATO SOS.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe