11. Weak

The tires screeched to a halt in the Stilinski driveway, the sound more like screams of disappointment to Lydia's ears and she was afraid to look back at Stiles. Ever since they'd left the department store with the credit card un-swiped, her eyes had been trained mindlessly out of her window, forehead against the cool glass to calm her nerves. She hated herself. She hated herself for not being able to do something so simple as buying clothes.

Stiles opens his mouth to speak but Lydia throws open the passenger door and scampers inside the house before he can. She shuts her door and tears his flannel from her body, wadding it in a ball before throwing it to the floor and crawling on the bed with a pillow hugged to her chest and wrapped around her legs. And for the first time since she had arrived, a single tear hit that pillow. Because she hated herself. She hated herself for not getting out of that jeep at the store.

There was a knock at her door and before she could hide, it opened. She didn't lift her face from the pillow as a loud thump met her floor along with a deep breath from Stiles.
"You never opened the boxes." He remembered seeing them in the coat closet downstairs and he didn't think much of it, maybe some old junk that his father had recently collected but now he knew they held her donated things. Stiles waited for her to crawl off of the bed or explain why she hadn't so even as glanced at the boxes but she never did. So he sat on the floor with a sigh, resting his arms on the thick cardboard.
"Lydia..." He called her name softly. She didn't budge.

"If you don't come over here I'll call Allison. You've met her twice but I'm sure you know how persistent the girl can be." He warns. Lydia sits up with a sniffle and she felt weak. And for that, she hated herself. She hated herself for feeling weak; for being weak. So she told him. He listened to her voice, so small as if she was almost whispering and his heart was crushed when she took in an unsteady breath to tell him.
He told her in return how he was too. "And I hate myself all the time for it." He says. And once he had said that, she felt just a little less alone in the world.

She didn't question why he was weak, just like he didn't question why her boxes were unopened. Because both of them just sort of knew. With one final sniffle, Lydia crawled to the floor on the opposite side of him, her knees hitting the cardboard as the carpet left imprints on her skin. Stiles gives her a smile as she opens the box in front of them and the smile turns into a chuckle. He pulls the first shirt out and holds it up to eyesight with a laugh that made Lydia titter as well. The design was ridiculous, neon green zebra stripes on pink polka dots with a bright blue background, not to mention the huge iron-on eye in the middle.
"This is pretty cute." Stiles tells her and she laughs even more as he sets it aside. "Come on, I'd wear it."

It wasn't shopping at a high quality store where the jeans with jeweled asses cost hundreds of dollars, but Lydia would rather wear baggy old band shirts as dresses than diamond pants any day. They went through three boxes (the fourth being all books) and it had actually been kind of fun. If a pair of sunglasses showed up, Stiles would peer through them until he came across the next pair. Lydia kept almost everything that was loose, not one for tight fitted things. And once they were done, Stiles gathered the clothes she didn't want and left her to be with her new wardrobe. He would buy the girl a phone later after school tomorrow but don't worry about that cause it's still Sunday.

The doorbell rang.

He thought maybe it'd be another surprise visit from Isaac Lahey or maybe Scott was grounded from his phone again and just wanted to let him know in person. But he was surprised to find Malia Tate standing in his doorway.
"Is that movie thing still on the table?" She asks with a smile. He loved her smile, don't get me wrong, but if he had counted how many times he'd seen that grin he would've lost count by now.
"Yeah, sure. Come on in." He opens the door wider allowing the girl to step inside. How did she even know where he lived? How did she get here? As Malia looked around his small home with interest, he passed by her to sit on the couch.

"I don't know what type of genre you're into so I guess I'll just let you pick the movie." He clears his throat as she plops down next to him.
"You said 'or something'." She was really close. Almost uncomfortably close. Her words barely even needed to travel in order to meet his ear.
"Y-yeah I did." But he hadn't implied that they would actually be doing anything other than watching a movie. He wasn't one to argue as Malia's lips lightly kissed his jaw before meeting his own.

Pause. I know what you're thinking. Didn't this chick randomly show up less than two minutes ago not previously having known where he lived and we still don't know how she arrived here in the first place? And you're right. We don't know how she knew where he lived. We don't know who gave her a ride here (because she certainly didn't have her own car). And here she was, not having been in his house for more than two minutes and already her lips had met his. But Isaac Lahey had warned him.

"My dad's gonna be home from work soon." Stiles pulls away from her, implying that maybe they should stop with the kissing. Honestly, all he could think about was how his show came on in seven minutes.
"I should go anyway." She pecks his lips, climbing off the sofa to walk towards the door.
"I thought we were gonna watch a movie?" He questions.
Malia shrugs.
"So-so are we like....dating now?" He stutters.
"You act like that little scene earlier on the couch hadn't made it obvious." Malia snickers, blowing him a kiss before walking out. His eyes linger on the door before lowering to the ground and he sat in silence for another twenty minutes. Because, shit, girls were confusing.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

PATIENCE. I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH PLEASE BE PATIENT I PROMISE PROMISE PROMISE THEYLL BE DONE FOREVER NEXT CHAPTER.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe