8. The Owl

She was sitting in the kitchen. Lydia was out of her room and sitting on the kitchen counter while Mr.Stilinski made a pot of coffee. Her eyes were wide and never left the pages of the book in her lap. Stiles was surprised to say the least to see her out of her room, a t-shirt on her back and pajama bottoms covering her legs as his father poured a cup of coffee and set it next to her. Half of the books pages had been turned signaling she'd been reading all night and both boys stare at her in amazement.

Lydia flips the page and takes a sip of her coffee, the bags under her eyes now greatly apparent.
"Lydia, why don't you go upstairs and get some sleep." Mr.Stilinski suggests but she only shakes her held, eyes never lifting from the current page. With a chuckle, Stiles steps forward and yanks the book from her hand causing a gasp as she fumbles off the counter.
"Sleep." He exaggerates the word, a noise of protest escaping the girls throat before she passes by him to go upstairs. Folding a piece of paper to put in her place, he tosses the book on the counter before saying goodbye to his dad.

All day all he could think about was the date he had with Malia. Scott noticed his friends happy mood but never once questioned it. Like normal, there was a nap in math and a movie in Science which lead to another nap. By the time last period rolled around, Stiles found his excited mood slowly forming butterflies in his stomach.
"Stiles, wait up!"
The boy turns around to see none other than Malia herself. He gives a smile as the girl approaches, making him blush by pecking him on the cheek.

"H-hey..." He breathes.
"Walk with me?" She asks and he frantically nods.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
"She had to cancel plans." Stiles throws his backpack somewhere (he didn't care where at this point) across the room, flinging the front door closed. Groaning out loud, he remembers his dad is at work and that he was basically talking to ghosts.

"Who?"
Stiles was surprised to hear the voice. He enters the kitchen to see Lydia sitting on the counter, as usual, with her hair tied up and the book in her lap again. She was nibbling on a strawberry, a whole bowl of them to her left, and he wasn't exactly hating the tank top she was wearing.
"The owl speaks." Stiles chuckles causing her to shift uncomfortably. Sighing, he responds. "Just this girl I've had a crush on forever. Couldn't come to the movies tonight so we're having coffee at this great place called Susan's on Sunday."

Lydia gives a single nod, biting into another strawberry while returning to her novel. She was an odd one, Stiles thought, but in the best of ways. The house was silent, Stiles eventually turning on the tv in the living room to check the baseball score and Lydia had wandered upstairs. Nothing out of the normal. Then the doorbell rang. With a groan, Stiles drags himself off of the couch.

And who do we have here?

"What do you want?" His mood had easily shifted from laid back to on edge. First of all, why was Isaac Lahey here and second of all, how did Isaac Lahey remember where he lived?
"I came to warn you about Malia." He answers, looking over the boys shoulder.
Stiles rolls his eyes. "You just came to see Lydia."
Isaac Lahey doesn't even wait for an invitation inside, he just pushes past Stiles and looks around the house. "So that's her name? Lydia." He smiles, looking towards the stairs.

The sudden urge to block off the staircase with yellow caution tape overtakes Stiles. So he does the second best thing, leads the other boy into the living room.
"I repeat: the hell do you want?" Stiles says, crossing his arms and raising his chin in order to appear more confident. He wasn't.
"Like I said, I came to warn you about Malia." Isaac Lahey shoves his hands in his pockets. Malia. What could he possibly have to warn Stiles about Malia?

The sounds of a door upstairs clicking open is the only thing that kills the sudden silence, a moment later it closes again. The last time Isaac Lahey had been in this house was the seventh grade. He was here for a total of two minutes before announcing he had a date with an eighth grader and then walked out. For Stiles, that moment had been the end of their friendship.
"She's not all cupcakes and rainbow stickers." Isaac Lahey sits on the arm of the couch as if he actually was still Stiles' friend. "Did I ever tell you I went on a date with her once?"

Wait, what? If Isaac Lahey and Malia Tate had ever even so much as held hands it would be all over the school in half a minute.
"Of course you didn't." He continues without an answer. "Because Malia is a psychotic bitch."
"I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this."
"She's...eccentric." Stiles internally applauded his word choice. "I don't really know how to say it, but if I was you, I would skip whatever date you have planned." Isaac Lahey stands, leaving his ex-friend in silence as he walks out the front door with an expression Stiles couldn't quite place.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Be patient, be patient. I promise it's getting there just, be patient.
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe