22. Promise

"We shouldn't be doing this." Lydia laughs despite her statement. Stiles brushes it off, taking the girls hand while looking both ways down the hospital halls. It was silent, a few conversations from some late night doctors and nurses sounding from down the hall but other than that it was completely silent. Her tiny fingers take hold around his own as he checks the halls one last time before dragging her out of her room.

They leap and jog down the hall in quiet laughter, nothing but socks covering their wiggling toes and slipping a few times on the tile only ensuing more laughter. Of course this had all been Stiles' idea, sneaking out of her tiny little room at night. He knew it'd make her happy. She had laughed when the boy fell or when they straightened up while passing by an open room.

They soon made it into a large hallway with snickers and whispers being exchanged. Lydia gasps as they round the corner.
"What are you two up to?" Melissa grins, looking at the mischievous pair. Stiles pushes Lydia forward by placing a warm hand on the small of her back.
"You never saw us." Stiles tells her causing light laughter before she crosses her heart with the tip of her finger. As the two travels off, Melissa looks back with curiosity, her eyes circling their closeness or the way their hands would brush as they walked. It was obvious something lingered between the two but she didn't question it too long.

With a shush, Lydia plops down into one of the wheelchairs parked against the wall as Stiles grabs the handles. And as nonchalantly as two suspicious teens could, Stiles pushed her away slowly down the hall. Eventually he picks up his pace though, lightly jogging to make the wheelchair move faster as they skidded and swerved down hallways and around corners. Lydia was filled with laughter she tried to keep quiet and a smile that hurt her cheeks.

The wheels skidded to a halt in front of an elevator and she was confused.
"Stiles?"
"Don't question my motives." He grins. But he breaks. "Okay if you really wanna know that bad...I'm taking you to the roof for some fresh air." He seemed proud of himself. Lydia had other ideas. The thought made her skin crawl and her throat more dry than it already was.

"Not tonight, Stiles. I-I think I just want to go back to bed." Lydia gives a cough as if to prove her point. Confusion with equal parts of tension mixed in the air Stiles breathed.
"Come on. It'll do you some good!" Stiles tries to convince her but she shook her head slightly. And suddenly the mood had shifted. Lydia stands from the wheelchair, not looking back as she begins to stride back to her room with her head down. A cough echoes the hall as Stiles abandons the wheelchair and takes off after her. He didn't quite understand what the problem was. It was just some air.

When he arrived at her room the girl had already formed a lump of blankets in the middle of the mattress. She had already placed the nibs back in her nose and her hand was perched over the nurses button as if to warn Stiles if he said anything wrong she'd make him go. It broke his heart as he sat on the bed and she didn't even move. Not even to look over her shoulder at him.

He knew she wasn't okay, so he didn't ask.

"Did I do something wrong?" He says instead. The words sent chills down her spine because he was so caring and she didn't deserve him. And he felt the same of her.
"You're fine. I just want to sleep..." She mumbles. She failed to mention how she was afraid to go outside. Why? Not even she knew. But something about fresh air didn't seem that fresh. Everything was too off for him to feel normal, whatever normal was at this point.

"You probably have, like.....a lot of school work to catch up on." She turns to look at him and that's when he knew it was okay. Caramel eyes traveled to the sheets where he grabs her hand in his. Instantly she melts at the touch, the way his rough fingertips felt against the soft of he back of her hand was heavenly. He shrugs. "I could just bring it here. I suck at geometry and you could probably help me."

He smiled but she didn't return it. Instead, there was a sort of sorrowful fear in her eyes. She was implying she wanted him to leave. His hand clasped tighter around hers and he forced a swallow. "I'm not going anywhere, Lydia. What if–"
"What if what?" She interrupts him with a gentle voice, no harshness in her tone and she sounded to tired and small. Weak. "What if I get hurt while you're at home? What if I die while you're in school?"
"Don't." Stiles' voice on the other hand was stern but he corrected himself and spoke in a normal tone. "Don't ever say that. You're getting better and nothing is going to happen." There's a pause.

Lydia kisses the top of his hand before letting it go. She turns on her side to face away from him again, squeezing her eyes closed tightly. "You should probably just leave." There's a pause, a moment of pure silence when the world seemed to still and listen in on their conversation. "Everyone always does...eventually." Voice light as a feather despite her torn up throat. Stiles scoffs. Fine. If she wanted him to leave, that's what he'd do. The bed creaks slightly as he gets up. No goodbye. No nothing as he leaves the door and as soon as it was closed Lydia allowed herself to cry.

Because that boy that just left? That was the only thing that gave her something to live for. That boy was one of the few people who truly cares for her well being. And what was the point of sticking around if he just–

There's a loud curse from down the hall, a few apologies mumbled by the wall, and fast footsteps coming back her way. The door flew open and closed again as fast as she sat up, lightening quick."you know what?" Stiles asks, pacing slightly while tugging at his chestnut hair because dammit if he wasn't mad at the girl in front of him. "Fuck that. I say, fuck THAT Lydia Martin because I am never going to leave you. And you damn well are never going to leave me." It was almost a command.

He stilled to watch her, cheeks still glistening from the tears that had been there only moments before.
She nods frantically. "Okay."
"Promise?" He sits next to her and she kept nodding before they crashed together with everything they had. Lips met lips and hands with hands and silent noises of agreement and promises that both intended to keep. Between rushed kisses they would promise again, breathlessly, and Lydia still tasted like sorrow but if you had asked him, he wouldn't have cared.
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Authors note:

Sorry I accidentally published this a couple minutes ago when it wasn't finished😅
Comment, read, enjoy!
-Chloe