13. Ricky

I forgot to publish yesterday so double update today :)

"Ricky? Why aren't you getting ready?" yells my mother from the bathroom.

I'm supposed to see Ella once again tonight but I already cancelled the date. I don't answer my mom and plug my headphones in my smartphone. I feel a pressure on my shoulder.

"Ricky, your mom asked you a question." scowls my father.
"I'm not going, Father." 
"Ricky, don't get your fiancée-"
"Father, I can't marry that girl!"

His brows knit together as he wonders:
"How come?"
"First off, he doesn't like white girls." Marie-Claire jokes.
My mom elbows her hard, letting her know it wasn't the good timing for jokes.
"I don't like her, Dad."
"And the problem is..."
"I love someone else." I blurt out.

Now he finally takes the time to wide his eyes at me.

"Pardon?"
"She would be the perfect princess, father, just give her a chance! She's smart, grounded, honest, humble..."
"And very poor", adds my mom.
Both me and my dad drop our jaw in shock.
"You know her?" We ask at the same time.
"She's working downstairs at the lobby." she says with a straight face.
I'm at a loss for words, and so his my father.
"I got her called. She should be here soon." Her stare is ice cold as she adds: "I'm very disappointed in you, Richard. I thought you were smarter than this. Hiding this from us? How dare you?"
"I didn't have the choice, you are both so stubborn!  You don't even want to hear what I have to say!"
"You're marrying Ella Danford and that is final. Get used to it." decides my father.
"Dad, I won't do it! You can't force me!"
"Maybe you're right. But tradition is here to stay and so is debt if you refuse that marriage."
"Dad-"
"Ricky."
But it's not my dad who said that. When I hear someone sniff, I just know they told Jackie to back off. 

"At least have the decency to leave us alone." I angrily motion my family to the exit.

Jackie runs to my arms as soon as they close the door.
"I am not getting married, Jackie. I'll run away with you, I'll..."
She cuts me off, shaking her head.

"You know it's not happening. We fooled ourselves for long enough but come on now: you're an adult, and I'm not far behind. We have to quit playing games!"
"Is this just a game to you?"
"Of course not! I really... have feelings for you. But your country is counting on that wedding. It's not about you and me, or you and that Ella girl, it's about Hispaniola and the future!"

She is right. I sigh heavily, fixing the hair falling in her face. She shivers under my touch but doesn't push me off.

"I just wish there was an us in Hispaniola's future." I whisper.

She nods and steps back a little to be out of my reach. "I should get going."

I feel so torn up. I don't want  her to go. Chances are I won't see her again. But why for goodness sake is she happen to be right? I just feel like crying, but there's my entire family waiting outside the room. I wouldn't be surprised if Alexandra and Marie-Claire were listening this whole time.

Jackie doesn't move right away, making me hope maybe she is just as conflicted as I am. She turns around and starts walking off but I can't stop myself from grabbing her by the wrist.
"Wait..." I mumble, fighting back the tears.

I mentally cringe at the desperation in my voice, but Jackie is already at the breaking point. Tears roll down her face and she brings both hands to her lips as a sob escape them. I hug her tight as I start crying too. She suddenly breaks out of my arms although she cries even harder as doing so.
"I'm sorry, she weeps, it's way too hard..."
And without another look she rushes out of the hotel room.

I run to the balcony, hoping to see her pass by. I wait a few minutes until I see her long brown curls bouncing around as she makes a run to a cab. She looks up as she opens the back door. She gasps while I'm frozen into place. Then, she quickly enter the cab and it drives her off to her place.

This is why she would be a good princess. She's ready to do whatever it takes for her country. She'll accept her people's decisions no matter what. She is selfless, smart, dedicated. The fact that she would even consider stepping in Hispaniola after what happened to her parents there is brave enough.

But I can't have her. How ridiculous.

I wipe off my face with my sleeve. My head hurts from the crying. I let myself fall on the bed. I hope my family's gone. I hope they don't get to see me like this.

"Ricky?" calls out my older sister.
Ugh, guess they're still there.
"Leave me alone!" I yell.
"Ricky, I'm sorry."
My brows frown. "Why? For what?"

Alexandra is alone and she does look genuinely sorry.
"If it wasn't for me and Marie-Claire, you would've never met her and it wouldn't be so hard for you -"
"Don't be sorry for that. It's all my fault. I messed up as always."
"But it's so unfair! I am the one who should have to get married to someone I don't like for the kingdom, not you! I am the future queen!"
"Alex, it's okay..."
"Not, it's not! I hate to see you like this, and Jackie... It's even worse."
I pull her in for a hug and she calms down a bit.
"How are you, though?" she asks after a while.
"Awful. My head hurts and my heart is even worse."
She pats my back and leans my head on her shoulder.

"You still hate Jackie, don't you" I ask.
"Absolutely. But she still doesn't deserve any of this." she admits.

Alexandra  starts singing a Creole lullaby, like she used to when we were kids and I was having nightmares. I slowly close my eyes and fall into a deep slumber.

It hurt me so much to write this chapter, you guys have no idea... How you found it? Let me know in the comments!