20. Jackie

Marie-Claire meets my worried gaze and mouths:
"Go talk to him."
What can I tell him? I have nothing left to say. Everything is to be found in Teen Vogue.

I excuse myself from the stage and grab an issue from the pile - yes, everyone in here will know my side of the story, for once.

I grab my gown in my left hand and start running, long gown and high heels and all, behind the prince, ignoring the disapproving stares from the guests. Just hand him the mag, Jackie... Nothing left to say..., my sermon myself as I run up the stairs.
"Ricky?" I risk yelling once I reach the second floor.

No answer. Obviously.

I don't get why he is mad, though. I haven't done or said anything. I know I have to keep my distance from him, but I would like to leave him on good terms.

"Ricky? Can we talk?" I rearrange my hair on my shoulders and I risk opening the first door. I glance inside the studio, but there's nobody there. Same goes for the three next doors.

"Ricky... please just come here already, I beg, breathless, as I wrestle with the last studio door.

Suddenly, one hand wraps my waist and another one covers my mouth. I try knocking my kidnaper off with my magazine, but it, no surprise, doesn't do anything to him. He doesn't even loosen his grip.

He shoves me into the closet, closes the door behind him and turn on the light. My heart skips a beat.
"R-ricky?" I stutter.

Now, one could think I would be used to the prince by now, but I will enlighten you as to why I am so shocked right now.

The prince is low key mad.

"Congratulations on that mag debut." He says with a hurt tone.

Hurt? Richard Alexandre Pétion is hurt? Am I the reason why he feels like this?

"Ricky, what's going on? What have I done?"
"Nothing really, you just used me for your own little purposes." He spits.
"That's it?" I feel relieved. "That's all?"
"It's a pretty big deal for me, but I'm not hoping you to understand ."

Okay, I am not having it.
"You shut that big insensitive mouth of yours up before I slap you back to the Caribbean sea!"
He looks so shocked he actually does shut up.
"Good. Now you are going to read the actual darn interview before I toss it in your mouth! Here you are being genuinely pissed off because I finally have a freaking say in this pathetic love story rumor-fueled thing of ours! You do have my phone number right? Next time, why don't you text me instead of assuming things that you know are nothing like me!"

"Still, " he says after a while, "You could have texted me as well to at least warn me you were about to expose all our story to your country. I have feelings too."

I do feel kind of sorry now for neglecting to let him know about this. I calm down.
"I'm sorry. I understand why you were pissed off." I motion to the door knob."Now let's go back before somebody else shows up."
Plus, I didn't want to lose my ride, Mindy said she would leave at 11 p.m.

But Ricky pins me down to the door and locks it. I try to protest, but he shushes me with his finger.
"You look stunning. You would make such a great princess..." he trails off, his voice laced with sadness.

He lifts up my chin and kisses me without hesitation. I'm first taken aback by how intense the kiss is, but quickly get rid of my fears and just kiss him back. He slides his hand down my bare back to my hip, pulling me closer as he bites my lower lip. We deepen the kiss and soon I need to breathe again.

"Ricky..." I finally mumble.
It takes me all my self-control to push him away. However, he seems really determined to get me rid of all my lipstick.
"Ricky seriously. You're making all of it" I quickly move my hand between our two chests, blushing "physical."