21. Ricky

I was really motivated to carry Jackie to the hotel parking lot but after a while I got tired of getting spanked on the chest.

So we are walking hand in hand on the sidewalk, me reading that darn interview and Jackie guiding my steps on the concrete since my eyes are busy reading.

Tuesday afternoon. Jackie Coleman waits for me with her older sister, who happens to be my BFF. We live in a small world.

You don't know who she is? Just go on your Facebook. The country, if the world's newsfeed is filled with her pretty face...next to the most surprising rumors.

The 18 years old became Internet famous when pictures of her and the prince of Hispaniola - a Caribbean Island for those of you who don't know - started appearing everywhere.

Since it's such a trendy topic about such a trendy family, I decided someone other than the paparazzi had to have a say in this. Because, let's face it, nobody knows what's really going on.

I didn't waste time unveiling an envelope to Jackie with all the photos of her and prince Ricky I could find on Google and TMZ. She then went on to explain what was really going on.

The photo at the beach? They had just met, and she was her tour guide for the day. That Warriors game? Their first date. In other words, totally cute and innocent.

When I brought up Ella Danford, though, Jackie's beautiful face got clouded with sadness.
"She's the reason why we can't be together." she admits, sighing. "Ricky's (That's her nickname for the prince) parents want him to get married to her. It's the reason behind this entire trip. Ironically, I'm the one who is slowing down their plan."

All because they fell in love. Isn't it like Coming to America, I ask?
"Sure, I saw and loved the movie too." she confesses, giggling. "But the major difference is, Ricky didn't meet Ella before me. He didn't have to seek for a better bride or girlfriend or whatever. It just happened and that's what people don't get. They think Ricky is engaged to Ella [Danford] and that I'm the royal whore or something. It's plain disrespectful. I might not be as loaded as her but for goodness' sake, I wouldn't have fallen for a prince for his money! My parents died in his country, I would have probably shut him out. I still am not comfortable with the idea of maybe going in Hispaniola one day so that gives you an idea.

Indeed, Jackie lost her parents to the 2010's earthquake at age 13. Her older brother and sister raised her since.
"We're really close, she says speaking of her siblings. I can't see myself without them. They both gave up on college to stay with me, and this whole situation is just confirming how awesome they both are. My siblings comforting me for weeks now is something I won't forget anytime soon."

And let's talk about those last two weeks. "I never cried so much in my entire life." Jackie confesses. "To put it simply, I collapsed. Not just because I couldn't date the prince. It had a lot to do with it, sure, but not the only reason. I was depressed because I felt guilty for all of this crap. I felt like I had ruined the king's plans by my mere existence and that I had lost something as simple as my private life. To see people who don't even know you casually talk about your love life - your failed love life may I add - was heartwrecking for my first heartbreak. I already didn't have a clue to move over Ricky and neither did I knew how to shut down haters who were slut-shaming me. I didn't even have sex with the prince, and when you reach the point you have to say it in an interview because you know everybody wants to know that, it's really hard to stay sane."

"So why did you agree in doing this?" I wondered.
"Simple. I wanted a freaking say, to quote Selena Gomez. I wanted to forgive myself for everything, I wanted to accept the fact that yes, I fell in love with a famous, rich guy and there nothing I can do about it. What we shared was amazing and even though I still have no idea how to get over him - I mean he does have gorgeous eyes - I embrace every moment of my life, even if right now it's low key a mess."

"So you do think your relationship with Ricky was genuine and true, in other word?"

Jackie smiles at my question. She later told me it was because a lot of people of her surrounding had ask her the same question with the same concerned face.

"Absolutely. I doubt about it all the time, because all of this is so surreal, but then Ricky knocks at my door and it's love at first sight all over again."
I then asked what she loves about Ricky. She blushed.
"There are so many things... Ricky is apparently a mysterious guy who is introvert and shy but I never met that side of him. I love Ricky because we both felt so comfortable with each other from the start, it's quite weird honestly. He's a very good-looking guy so that helps too (laughs). But he's so caring and compassionate and funny, and also I feel like we never get bored of each other's presence. We spent both a lot of time together and apart, and either way... Like, he's not clingy (and that's really important for me, I am very independent) but when he wants to be with you he won't play games waiting x number of days before calling me back. When we just met, I think we just couldn't stop talking to each other because we didn't know each other that much, but once we did, he let me live my life, you know, chill with my family and friends."
She paused to think then added :
"He has flaws too. So do I. We work with it. He's suspicious sometimes, but I ain't a saint either. We fight like most couples but I don't love him any less. I hope this wasn't too long."

The girl did have a lot to say, but thank God for recorders. Unfortunately, I didn't write down the entire thing but I do have a video of the entire thing.

Earlier in the interview she also when on to explaining: I wouldn't long for a word from him, I wouldn't care the comments on the Internet about us [if it was only physical ]. I never tried to contact him when we "broke up", he always did. He always reaches for me. Call me a coward but I can't risk my private life and the one of my family for my own selfish motives. If I could I would try to make that wedding happen. But Ricky loves me too much to walk away from me without a fight."

I don't know about you, but I felt so bad for her. She endured everything that came her way ever since she laid her eyes on the prince of Hispaniola without raising a middle finger to the world. She's killing those haters with kindness - and a few facts while she's at it. Selena would be proud.

I fold the magazine under the driver's seat of the car. Jackie is still at Mindy Sanchez's appartment. What is taking her so long? I am already done with the article! I think. And I finished it while waiting for her!

Speaking of her, she has just closed the door behind her, now wearing sweatpants and an oversized tee.
"Is it your pyjama?" I mock her.
"Of course, silly, I'm not changing again."

I roar the engine and drive off to her house.
"So I am the hottest guy alive?"
"Are you done teasing me?"
I smirk.
"Alright, let's just get you home."
"Aren't you gonna say anything about the interview?" she wonders.

I observe her from the corner of my eye. She is staring at me with inquisitive eyes.

"Should I keep reaching for you?" I ask.
I see her nod. "Please, don't give up on us."