25. Ricky

It takes me a whole minute to process this information.

Shot as with a gun?

"H-how come?" I still stutter, in utter shock.
"Wrong neighborhood at the wrong time." she simply explains, circling her thumb on my fingers. "The bullet is still in here." she adds, patting her shoulder with my hand.
"When did that happen?"
"Hum, two or three months ago? I'm fine, though."

I fall into a comfortable silence. I fight to not fall asleep, but I really want to enjoy Jackie's presence before life catches on. That business won't run itself.

"Can't believe we went on two years without talking to each other." mumbles Jackie.
"FYI you're the one who asked for this." I remind her, chuckling.
"I know!"

We laugh at her response. We still have chemistry, it seems.

"Maybe I should get going." she says. "It's almost morning."
"Really?" I try to get up but something holds my neck still. "Damn it, I can't do anything!"
"Language! And of course, you had an accident!" she says exasperatedly.

She grabs a remote and looks at it for some time before finding the right button. The hospital bed starts moving, pushing my back until I get in sitting position.
"Thanks... I'm guessing you're staying for the sunrise?"
"I've never seen one before." She admits. "I'm always asleep or busy."

She pulls her dress down and climb back on the bed.
"Where do you come from?"
"Ella was throwing a party. Your hospitalization came right on time." she jokes.
"Why were you going?" I ask suspicious.

She averts my gaze.
"I was invited."
"Ella likes you?"
"Why wouldn't she like me? She never had feelings for you." Jackie snorts. She sounds offended.
"So you guys are friends?"
"Not at all... but I don't need magazines thinking we're still not over this whole drama with you. It's been two years, you know? A party is the easiest way to show we're okay. I didn't even have time to see her."
"Well what do you do there, then?"
"Well, tonight I just grabbed you sister's hand and left for here."
"But what do you usually do?" I insist.
"I don't go to Ella's parties usually. Actually, Alex is the one who invited me."
"Now I'm even more confused, why did you go again?"
"I was hoping to see you, okay!"

My brows knit together as I repeat:
"You went to see me?"
"I figure you were still in good terms with Alex so you'd come for her."

My eyes widen as I finally understand everything. She still looks at the window to avoid facing me.
"If I knew you were going, I would've gone too, even though I'm not in speaking terms with both Alexandra and Ella."

She still doesn't turn around. I sink back in the bed, watching the sunrise laying down.

After a few minutes of the gorgeous sight, Jackie slowly turns around. I quickly squeeze my eyes shut, pretending to be asleep. She sighs and runs her fairy fingers up my jawline. I haven't shaved since last week so it must stings a little.

Jackie has that way to touch people that makes shivers run down my spine despite the abnormal heat in the room.

She wipes the sweat off my forehead with her palms.
"You don't have to do this -" I murmur, trying to grab her wrists.
"Hush it baby, you need to rest."
"My mind won't rest any time soon if you keep drying off my sweat." I whine.

But she ignores me and slips her thumb on a cut on my cheek. Her soft touch feels like a balm on my skin, even if I can still feel the stinging feeling from my injuries whenever she brushes them with her fingers.
"I missed your touch." I say when her ear is close enough to pinch it with my lips.

She collapses to my side, gasping when I chew her ear.
"I missed your lips." she blushes from the confession, which brings me back to the time when she'd fluster whenever I complimented her. Guess she has changed a little, but not that much.

"I still love you, Ricky, and I want to make this work." she says, her eyes shining. From tears?

Wait, what did she just say?

I grin. I probably look like a perv right now but it's a small price to pay when the only girl you've ever wanted just confessed the way she felt about you. If it wasn't for my injuries, she'd already be pinned down on the bed...

Okay, two years definitely made me more horny. Keep it together, man, you gotta marry her first.

She leans forward and kisses me. I quickly recover from the surprise, closing my eyes and moving my lips in sync with her is the only thing I can do. They're the only limbs I can move.

She pulls back, blushing:
"I'm so sorry!"

Man that girl is funny. "What are you sorry for?"
"Not even asking you if it hurts to have me on top of you like this..."
"I didn't feel anything."
"Don't lie to me Ricky."
"Do I look like I'm lying? I wouldn't feel any pain if you kept kissing me like that."

Jackie turned even redder, covering her cheeks with her hands.
"Maybe I should go?" she wonders.
"If you stay, just know my nurse will eventually come."
"Okay, I'm leaving." She giggles. "You need to sleep."
"At least kiss me goodnight." I pout.

She rolls her eyes and pecks me on the lips.

"I'm glad to be back with you." I tell her before she leaves. "And I love you too."

She smiles and says: "I'll see you later, papi."

***

I fell asleep after the nurses' morning routine (read: medical exams) and woke up just in time for the visits.

"You don't have to stay awake, I can tell them to come back later if that's what you want." suggests a nurse.
"No, I'm fine. Send them in."

The nurse opens the door and let my sister come in.
"Hey." she says akwardly.
"You know, you could've stayed yesterday. I don't bite."
"Oh shut up."

But she smirks. I grin back.
"Good to see you, Alex."
"It's nice talking to you again. I missed you."
"Awww", I coo, "dans mes bras!" I say, telling her to come in my arms in French. She almost runs to hug me.

"I feel like there's no place we can be safe anymore." she whispers.
I don't know what to say to reassure her because she basically put my thoughts in words.
"Even Jackie got shot in the shoulder. She wouldn't give me details - you know her - but I don't think it's a coincidence."
Alex nods. "Don't worry about it for now. When you can leave the hospital, we'll investigate about the accident ourselves."