8. Jackie

I close the door behind me, still catching my breath.

Have I dreamed all of this? Did I just kiss him four times in a row?

Way to go, girl. Your first kiss(es).

I press my hand on my chest and wait for my heart to stop racing. Some people get butterflies in their stomach, I on the other hand am too close to a heart attack. But I like the feeling.

"Jackie? You're home?" calls Janet from the kitchen.
"Yes, it's me."
I walk to the kitchen, where she is eating a snack. I take place next to her, sighing.
"You had a great time, huh?" she teases. "I saw you on TV. You were right behind Thompson on the bench!"
"I know! It was such a cool date!"
"Tell me more!"
"Well, we came back so late because we talked all the way back and in front of the house. And then when we got to the front porch, he kissed me."
"How was it? Was it your first time?"
I blush.
"OMG it was your first kiss!"
"Janet!"
"Okay, sorry. Did you like it?"
"I think I'm gonna pass out."
She laughs.
"Oh, you're such a big girl now, makes me feel like a grandma!"

We hear the door's lock and Jackson comes in. He looks infuriated.
"Jake, what's the matter?"
"You're totally dating him, aren't you?" he accuses me, pointing his finger at me.
"Jackson, calm down!" My sister scowls him.
"No! She just met that guy, she can't fall for him and date him out of the blue!"
"Jackson, you were gone! It wasn't planned, he just showed up here, and Janet got to talk to him!"
"I'm pretty sure she didn't scare him away since they were on TV sharing nachos in the back of the Warriors!"

Oh, so that's how he knows.

"At least give him a chance, Jake! I'm not stupid, I can make my own decisions, I'm freaking 18! I'm not Royalty, Jackson!"
"Just because you're done with high school doesn't mean I stop caring for you."
"You got it all wrong, I just want to be with Ricky."

I stand up and go in front of my brother.
"Both of you guys dated in high school and I didn't. You can't take that away from me forever!"

Jackson scratches his head, his anger leaving him. "Maybe you're right." he gives in.

I squeal and jump in his arms, catching him off guard. He hugs me back.
"But take things slow, please. If it is that serious, he might leave with you to his kingdom."
"I'll take it slow, promise."
"And if he makes you cry, I will beat him up."
"I know you will."

***

I wake up really early, but since I'm not working today, there really is no point. I growl as I bury my head back in the sheets.

Actually, it would've been nice to go to work today since my prince charming happen to stay there for the time being.

Why is he even here? I mean sure, his parents mean business, but why bring the whole family if it's to leave them in the hotel room - or suite - day and night?

I pick up my phone, still conflicted as to whether or not text Ricky first when, how ironic, I get a message from him.

Ricky 👑 👌😄: sweet dreams?
Sent 7:14 a.m.
Me: yup. No work 2day.
Me: what r u doin 4 the day?
Ricky 👑 👌😄: idk, my parents want me to meet someone so I guess I have to go
Ricky 👑 👌😄: pls keep ur phone near so I don't die of boredom.
Me: sure, but I'm planning to have a life today so I'm not making any promises.
Ricky 👑 👌😄: not even to ur bf? 😉

OMG did he just wrote this? Is he messing around with me?

Me: mind if I call?

He calls me instead of replying.
"Hey beautiful." he says in a deep tone.
Annnnnnnnd my face is red now.
"Hey, Ricky."
"Phew, I was scared you would still call me prince."
I never realized it before but his accent is killer. I'm melting in my bed.
"So where do you have to go?" I ask.
He searches for his words.
"To some rich family in San Francisco. They wish I fall in love with the girl and resolve all our money problems." His voice sounds annoyed and angry.
"Oh hum... I don't know what to say."
"Are you not scared or jealous?"
I truly don't know where this conversation is going right now.
"Hum... I dunno, you do what you want."
"Jackie." He sounds stern. "You didn't forget we kissed, didn't you?"
"What, of course not!" I cringe at my panicked and desperate voice.
"Then brace yourself for the big announcement: we are dating, Jacqueline, and nothing will get in the way of having you."
"R-really? Y-you like m-me? I stutter.

Okay, I'm not usually insecure or anything, but right now I'm doubting to the identity of the person on the phone with me.

"For your information, I kissed you four times. And I just admitted to you my parents' evil plan so you don't get mad at me or anything."
"Sorry, I'm still not over yesterday as you can see." I confess.

I can hear him smirk.
"I'm dying to see you again." he whispers, making me shiver from head to toe.
"I'm afraid you will have to meet my brother first." I deadpan.
"Anything to end up by your side."

I don't know what to say. Jesus take me now.

"I'll try to stop by, okay?" he adds.
"Okay. Go get ready now."
"Alright, see you later."
I end the call. Now I don't feel like doing anything.

I scroll through social medias to pass the time and finally go upstairs (my room is in the basement) to eat breakfast. I grab the Cheerios on the counter and pour a bowl of chocolate milk to go with it.

"Hey auntie!" yawns Royalty, Jackson's daughter.
She is a lovely 5 years old toddler with curly black hair that we always style into puffs. She's still in her PJs, a pink princess onesie.

I sit her on my lap and peck her chubby cheek.
"How's my favorite princess doing?"
"She is looking for the King. Where is Daddy?"

Sassy much? Pretty sure she got that from Jackson.

"I don't know, beautiful, I just got out of bed. Do you see his car?"
She slides down my chair and runs to the window.
"No."
"Wanna eat something, Ro?"
The toddler shakes her head with a stubborn pout. "I'm waiting for Daddy."
"It might take a while."

She shrugs and walks back to the window.
"Aunt Jackie! There's a boy at the door!"
At the same time, the door bell rings.
"Stay here, I'll go get it." I tell my niece, heading for the door.

I almost have a heart attack when none other than Ricky himself is standing in front of me.
"I thought you had to go see..."
"May I come in first?" he asks.
I step out of the way to let him in.
"Here." he says, handing me a red rose.
"Oh, that... that wasn't necessary..."
"Which is why I did it. Hurry, you're turning the same color as the flower now." he teases.
My face flusters even more.
"Thank you, Ricky." I beam.

I lead the way to the kitchen.
"Ro! What did I tell you about eating my food while I'm gone?"
The little girl ignores me and stares at my boyfriend - this is so weird to think, I'm dating Ricky!
"And you are?" she says with her brows frowned.
Ricky grins.
"I am your aunt's prince charming."
"She's not even a princess! I am the princess here! My name is Royalty."
"Nice to meet you your highness", says Ricky, bowing,"but don't worry about Jackie, I will turn her into a princess." he assures my niece.

Royalty nods in agreement and finally leaves my cereals alone. I sit down and motion Ricky to do the same.
"So, what brings you here?"
"I thought I'd rather be with you than some spoiled brat."
"You don't even know the girl, you can't know if she is that bad."
"You're right. Anyway, I'll have to get going soon so... Can I eat in your bowl too?"
"Ugh, you're lucky I'm in a good mood this morning." I say, pushing the bowl in his direction.
"By the way, you're really cute in your pyjamas."

I yank the bowl out of his hands.