10. Jackie

I clean up my room, then the whole basement, then the entier house. The prince of Hispaniola told me he was going to see me soon, and the house will me shining when he steps in it.

I'm that bored.

I really have nothing to do else: My siblings went out with their kids to a park while Jerry is to yet another date with Jayda (he texted me saying he was making good use of his time before he runs back to UCLA at the end of the summer). I start scrolling down my contact list, settling for a high school friend who moved all her way to NYU. I don't think she will answer my call, but I'm planning on leaving her a message.

"Hello?"
"Hey... wait, Melissa? You actually answered?" I gasp.
"I know, I didn't put my phone on vibrations for once."

I laugh. I know she's always busy typing away articles or stories so I suppose that's what she was doing.

"Yeah, just calling to catch up with ya. How's the Big Apple?"
"I love any city where you can meet Taylor Swift without anyone freaking out. Except the tourists of course."
"Really? You met her?"
"I walked past her on Fifth Avenue. But New Yorkers are so snob they'd eye you suspiciously if you fangirl a celeb in the streets. It's pretty ridiculous but I better get used to it now."
"Yeah, after all you're planning on becoming popular as well." I laugh.

To say she was talented in writing was an understatement. Melissa gave me all kinds of feels with her latest manuscript she let me read after months of nagging her. It was that good - and she was that much of a perfectionnist. No surprise she didn't go out often.

"What about you? Have you figured out yet where you wanna go?" she wonders.
"Not even close. I'm still looking."
"I don't know how many times I'll have to yell you this before you actually listen to me but I'm still waiting for your makeup tutorials to happen."
"I don't know a thing about YouTube videos!"
"You can still learn! Come on, Jackie, you would be great for this!"

I sigh. It is something I'd like to do but there are so many makeup Youtubers out there...

"We'll see, okay?"
Melissa chuckles."What, you have to check with your boyfriend first?"
"How do you know I'm seeing someone?"

I hear her holding her breath.
"Wait... YOU HAVE A BOYFRIEND?!!?!" she yells, bumping into something in the process.

Oh boy. And she is supposed to be 20?

"Melissa calm down! Yes, I went on a date. I don't know if we're gonna keep dating though..."
"Why not? OMG did he kiss you?"
"His parents don't like me."
"Ya right, I bet they never met you; Jackie everybody loves you, stop with the nonsense. Those are excuses. He likes you, just go for it!"

I guess I'll just have to tell her everything.

"The thing is... I'm dating prince Richard."
"A prince?"
"Of Hispaniola."
"No way."
"I promise, this is not a drill."
"No way!" Melissa repeats. "So his parents want someone who can talk fluently in the three official languages?"
"Worse, they want a business heiress. No way I can compete against that."
"Wow. This would make such a great book. Your life is more interesting than my novels!"
"Melissa! I want a happy ending to this one!" I admit.
"Alright, sorry, I got carried away. Listen, I can't really help you with this, but if you were a character I'd tell you to hold on because God - well, me for my characters but anyways - is gonna turn things in your favor. It'll work out, I promise."
"Thanks. I really miss you."
"I miss you too, kido. I don't miss your brother though, what is he up to?"

I smirk. "You totally have a crush on my brother!"
"No I'm not! He's like 26, like heck no! With a really adorable kid, but I'm just too young to be a mom. And I'm staying here, so no, it won't work out."
"Huhum, you thought about it too..."
"I still have a lot of work to do, Jackie!"